Best Diving Near Cebu (Post Typhoon)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to Camiguin(2009) with my non diving mate. I am afraid the diving was very ordinary by Philippines standard. But the island is indeed very very quiet, there are seven volcanoes so many walking trails are available. Guide is highly recommended.
My non diving mate managed to borrow a mountain bike and he has a blast especially the traffic was very very light.
Lack of development is probably the saving grace for the islander!

Really? Even mantigue Island? My first time at Camiguin we did both sides of white island (black forest and Kilambing South). Black Forest was unique with the Corals, Kilambing wasn't anything too special. But the next time I was there we went to Mantigue and that was amazing. Turtle point definitely lived up to its name. Maybe things have changed in the decade or so since you were there? Or just you have a different history of experiences to compare it to, which is more likely.
Development there is growing. Especially with the airport and the numerous topside things you can do now (waterfalls, hot and cold springs, giant clam sanctuary). There's even a Gaisano now, across from the market in Mambajao. The only thing lacking is the nightlife, but for some that's a blessing. Not sure, I'll ask around next month when I get there.

That was my only experience of diving in Camiguin.
Glad you like it.
As for the latest development! Good luck to them.
There was already a small airport in 2009.
Do you still need to go to Balingoan(outside of CDO) to catch the ferry to Benoni? There used to be a fast craft leaving directly from CDO but was eventually cancelled sometime after 2009.

That was my only experience of diving in Camiguin.
Glad you like it.
As for the latest development! Good luck to them.
There was already a small airport in 2009.
Do you still need to go to Balingoan(outside of CDO) to catch the ferry to Benoni? There used to be a fast craft leaving directly from CDO but was eventually cancelled sometime after 2009.
Yes, Benoni for Balingoan/CDO and Balbagon in Mambajao for Bohol. Since 2017 I haven't seen any ferry or fast craft direct to CDO unfortunately.. Wouldn't that be nice.

Appreciate your input and very glad to hear moalboal is a good mix of diving

Glad to hear moalboal and Bohol are good mixes of topside activities and good diving! Any recs for dive shops in either location?

In moalboal, I’ve been looking at Kasai village, cebu fun divers, Savedra, Qui Vadis, and Amigos dive center.
I didn't have a good experience with Cebu Dive Centre when I was there in 2019. If I go back (and I hope to!) I'll choose a different dive shop.

Paras Sea Cat was the operator in 2009.
I took jeepney from CDO airport to the port instead of taxi. And I was well taken care by the friendly driver/conductor as the jeepney did not go the port directly. The driver would drop me off somewhere and the conductor then brought me to the place where the connecting jeepney would had stopped!!!! Extremely friendly peoples and I would had missed that if I had taken a taxi.
One thing that I can never forget.

I didn't have a good experience with Cebu Dive Centre when I was there in 2019. If I go back (and I hope to!) I'll choose a different dive shop.
Really? I'm curious as to why. I knew most of the people who worked there, and the experience was why I went back like 4 times.

You don't have to worry though, they shut down when covid hit.

Really? I'm curious as to why. I knew most of the people who worked there, and the experience was why I went back like 4 times.

You don't have to worry though, they shut down when covid hit.
Had a crummy experience with a dive master who didn’t prep us and basically left my dive buddy and me behind for a good chunk of the dive when the current was strong and we had upwelling. Was really stressful. They had good reviews otherwise which is why I picked them but we got a bad guide and didn’t feel safe. I’ve done almost 100 dives and it was the 2nd worst one from a safety perspective.

Wow thank you all! Really appreciate everyone’s input.

As Centrals mentioned, I think logistically, it’d be easiest to fly into Cebu and head to moalboal, Bohol, and siquijor. Other than the threshers, Is the diving in malapascua much better than the other three locations?
Bohol has probably the most varied diving, above-water activities, bars/hotels/restaurants than either Siquijor or Moalboal. Saying that it really depends on how much diving you wish to do. If it's just a day or two, then all locations are good options. If it's quite a lot of diving, then Bohol is the best bet. Congratulation on your wedding:))

Had a crummy experience with a dive master who didn’t prep us and basically left my dive buddy and me behind for a good chunk of the dive when the current was strong and we had upwelling. Was really stressful. They had good reviews otherwise which is why I picked them but we got a bad guide and didn’t feel safe. I’ve done almost 100 dives and it was the 2nd worst one from a safety perspective.
Wow thats shocking. But then again, every guide is different. Sorry about your bad experience. I had a terrible one in Cuba.. Dirty air, terrible guide, and lack of proper dive planning led to me running dry. Definitely my worst one.

Bohol has probably the most varied diving, above-water activities, bars/hotels/restaurants than either Siquijor or Moalboal. Saying that it really depends on how much diving you wish to do. If it's just a day or two, then all locations are good options. If it's quite a lot of diving, then Bohol is the best bet. Congratulation on your wedding:))
I'm actually heading to Bohol in 2 weeks for about 3 days. My last time there was only a single dive back in 2017, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how great Balicasag can be this time. Going with Philippines Fun Divers/Bohol Fun Divers before heading to Moalboal with Savedra.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom