Best emergency Strobe option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well... revisiting this thread. Because I want a brighter strobe now. the Princeton Tec one just doesn't seem bright enough.

anyone got suggestions for a replacement?

I didn't have very good luck with the PT Aqua Strobe. I bought two and one leaked on the first deep dive. Other one is still OK. I bought the pair on a deal and mainly because they were small and packed light.

My other heavier models are doing well. The ACR Firefly is very bright and durable so far:

ACR Firefly

The Tektite is also doing well and is very bright as well but you have to be careful when shutting it off. Turn the cover too far and you will expose an O-ring:

Tektite

Just bought this little fella the other day but have not dove with it yet. Looks very beefy and light. Moderate power. Has a little doodah for attaching it to a hose or with a little fiddling, the top of an SMB:

ACR C-Strobe

I didn't have very good luck with the PT Aqua Strobe. I bought two and one leaked on the first deep dive. Other one is still OK. I bought the pair on a deal and mainly because they were small and packed light.

My other heavier models are doing well. The ACR Firefly is very bright and durable so far:

ACR Firefly

The Tektite is also doing well and is very bright as well but you have to be careful when shutting it off. Turn the cover too far and you will expose an O-ring:

Tektite

so of these two above, which do you like better?

I also noticed that LP has the Teklite 300 of the above model. It claims it's 30% brighter than the Teklite 200 you have. But reading the reviews, it seems that most of them were returned for being defective or breaking. (but most of the reviews are 2008-2009 time period. makes me wonder if since they Teklite has fixed those problems?)

Just bought this little fella the other day but have not dove with it yet. Looks very beefy and light. Moderate power. Has a little doodah for attaching it to a hose or with a little fiddling, the top of an SMB:

ACR C-Strobe

I couldn't tell that this one was waterproof to depth. (like to 100meters that most are). didn't see anything besides "waterproof" on the spec sheet. makes me wonder how it will do at depth?

btw.. Thanks for your information/reviews...

so of these two above, which do you like better?

I also noticed that LP has the Teklite 300 of the above model. It claims it's 30% brighter than the Teklite 200 you have. But reading the reviews, it seems that most of them were returned for being defective or breaking. (but most of the reviews are 2008-2009 time period. makes me wonder if since they Teklite has fixed those problems?)

I couldn't tell that this one was waterproof to depth. (like to 100meters that most are). didn't see anything besides "waterproof" on the spec sheet. makes me wonder how it will do at depth?

btw.. Thanks for your information/reviews...

My feeling is the Tektite is the better one. It is certainly brighter and uses 2 C cells which I imagine translates into longer run time. The lack of moving parts is desirable as well. The only drawback I see is that you have to be very careful when turning it OFF...turning the dome enough to halt the flash but not so far as to expose an O-ring.

The ACR Firefly with its two ended design has one more point of leakage and the external switch can be turned ON accidentally. I usually secure the switch with a rubber band to ensure it does not activate in my pocket. It is less bright than the Tektite and uses only 2 AA cells.

Its hard to tell but it looks like the ACR has better waterproofing around the lamp circuit so it may survive a flooding. The Tektite has a small hole at the base of the circuit that may allow water into the important bits. I'd still go with the Tektite though...a little O-ring maintenance and a guy should be good.

This thread has reminded me about the maintenance aspect so they are getting a good cleaning and re-lubing of the rings right now.

Thanks for your detailed reply.

what made you go with the Tektite 200 verses getting the newer Tektite 300?

Sorry...been away for a few days. I don't think the 300 was available when I bought the 200 is the main reason. If I were to replace my present one I think I would consider it but I do believe the 200 has a longer burn time. So the trade-off is brighter vs. longer...hmmm

Resurrecting this four year old thread to see what the consensus is today for the best emergency strobe. Are there any major "latest and greatest" since the last post here? Heading to Cabo to dive next month and thought it would be a smart purchase.

I own a Tektite 200 because it was in my budget - I use it shore diving at night - attach it to my dive flag hang it just under the water so I can see it and fisherman or others can see it... Works for me - but it is not something I use for day dives...

I too am resurrecting this old thread to see what are the latest and greatest suggestions for an emergency strobe light.

I keep a jotron AQ-4 Strobe Light in a drysuit pocket. Still worked when I tested it last month, had it for about 2 years. No idea how useful it is for rescue, as I've avoided that need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom