Best Equipment Failure Ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NW Dive Dawg

SDI / TDS Solo Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So I am admittedly a stubborn SOB and I have been a huge proponent of split fins pretty much since they became popular... I have been diving a few different pairs of Apollo Bio Fins for the past 25 years..... Also tried some Jet Splits but felt they were too wide and would "connect" too often on a flutter or scissor kick.

Fast forward to this past Tuesday.... here in FP on Bora Bora and on a few dives I was having to add some extra effort to keep up on a few scenarios where we needed to go upstream a bit.. I chalked it up to being 68 years old and also recently having a full left hip replacement.

Fast forward again as I was gearing up on the boat for the next dive one of the molded fin strap attachment knobs knobs on one of my Bio's snapped off.... ... So as I am trying figure out a zip tie option to get me through the dive the DM onboard hands me a pair of old beat up Aqualung open heel blades and says try these.....

Fast forward again to the dives and all I can say is WOW... it wasn't me or my age or my hip..... The beat up rental blades kicked ass. More power, greater maneuverability and enhanced buoyancy characteristics and no feeling of added effort. Add to that is that the pair was was noticeably a couple of pounds lighter then my Bio's...

Anyway, my Bio Splits are in the trash and will go to the dumpster......For now, I've already ordered some Mares Quatro Avanti blades that will be waiting for me when I return home and will be taking those to Bonaire in a few months...

7ITlrIi.jpg

People say rebreathers are dangerous if you don't pay attention. :oops:

I think split fins are worse. :stirpot::poke::gas::p

Glad you made it.

re: Mares Quatro Avanti - I have a pair, and they're pretty good, balanced, and not that expensive (especially on the used-market).

My "I'm feeling lazy flutter-kick" fins are Scubapro Seawing Nova. I can't make them to a good frog-kick or reverse-kick though. They're also great for swimming and free-diving. I'd like to get the Gorilla version some-day (Large, if anyone has a used pair).

On the subject of fins, I wish there was a local shop where I could try out different fins. Realistically, I can't imagine any diver having use for more than 2 or 3 pairs (casual, technical, travel). However, if I could, I'd try every fin I could get my hands on.

<<< Disclaimer: I am finned-swimming instructor >>>
Fins are very much alike a bicycle. They are the connection between your muscles and the resulting propulsion.
A biker usually owns at least 3 or 4 bicycles: one to be used in the city, one for travelling in the countryside, one for mountain climbing, one for off-road, and perhaps one for downhill. Each one has different technical properties and is optimised for a different style of propulsion. Furthermore, in each category each bicycle should be "fit" for the human body: size of frame and wheels, gear ratios, seat and handlebar must be usually customised differently for each one.
Same is with fins: geometry of the blade, stiffness and length should be adapted to the usage and to the specific biomechanical characteristics of the individual.
Yes, one should test a large number of different fins, and wearing different equipment when testing them: fins optimised for free diving, with no gear on your body and just a very smooth wet suit, are inherently requiring a "longer gear ratio" than fins optimised for pushing you wearing a large dry suit, with a BCD and tanks.
So, the idea of having the "best" fin, which is good for everyone and for every task, is profoundly wrong. Each one has different requirements and should use fins suited for the specific task.

I have a pair of Atomic split fins given to me [yes free] I did not want to be rude and say " no thanks" to a mate, spiders live in them, so they have a use in the shed.
It's like a piano accordion you can't give them away. :rolleyes:

The only thing better than a Piano Accordion is Nyan Cat!

I have a pair of Atomic split fins given to me [yes free] I did not want to be rude and say " no thanks" to a mate, spiders live in them, so they have a use in the shed.
Is he still a friend? 😛

Is he still a friend?
Gave up diving and on life I suspect, don't see him much now.
Some people just 'burn out'. Sad.

The only thing better than a Piano Accordion is Nyan Cat!

Makes me think of Clockwork Orange

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom