Best Fins for DM Snorkelling Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gilbertli

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I am new to this board. I will take my 800 yards/meters snorkelling test in June. I am 30, 5"6 and 205 lbs (yes, not in good shape AT ALL). I bought a pair of Mares Quattro Excel and tried them out in a pool tonight. I had two problems and would be grateful for your advice:

1. The fins quite buoyant and I had a hard time keeping the fins under the surface, is it because I had boots on?

2. May be due to 1 above, I found myself using my feet (instead of thigh and calf muscles) to kick the fins.

As a result, my times are quite slow. I am wondering whether full foot fins may help.

I understand that non-split fins have better power but they require a strong kicker and someone who is reasonably fit. Since I am not very fit, do you think OVERALL, I would be better with a pair of split fins since (i) I don't have the use so much energy on EACH kick and (ii) therefore, I can LAST longer. With non-splits, although I may be faster initially but I may lose energy quickly, so I may be worse off afterall.

Really appreciate your advice. Many thanks.

Gilbert

I just used my Mares Quattros when I took mine. I was 50 overweight and still managed a three on it. You could use some ankle weights.

Although the Mares Quattro's are the best fins ever made (the open heel version) they are quite cumbersome to snorkel with. Get some light full foot fins (atomic splits) if you want to improve your surface swim performance.

Cheers.

-J.-

If I remember correctly, I did mine in a pair of Mares Power Planas. Nice long stiff blade. Still have em but don't dive with them any more.

Sorry to toss cold water on the thread, but...

IMHO, the real issue here and the purpose of the test is to ensure the candidate is in good shape and able to handle the responisibilities of DM. "Beating the system" by carefully choosing fins is not in the best interest of a candidate nor the divers he/she will ultimately be responsible for.

Just my 2 cents.

I generally dive with Turtles/Jets but for my DM test I put my old Jet Splits on and had a very easy swim. If there is one thing the Splits are designed for it is full leg swimming straight ahead.

At my instructor's suggestion I just put my hands on my back like a speed skater -- the easiest swim I can remember.

I'm sure the other two swims and the rescue scenario a DM has to do will determine his/her fitness...the snorkel test is BS anyways but big open heel fins area PITA.

Cheers.

-J.-

Sharky1948:
Sorry to toss cold water on the thread, but...

IMHO, the real issue here and the purpose of the test is to ensure the candidate is in good shape and able to handle the responisibilities of DM. "Beating the system" by carefully choosing fins is not in the best interest of a candidate nor the divers he/she will ultimately be responsible for.

Just my 2 cents.

The best thing to do to prepare for this test is to start practicing. Picking the best fins, but not practicing, will not enable you to accomplish your goal (in my opinion).

Sound slike you have more than a month befor ehte test. If I were you, I'd also use that time to build up your cardio performance. A motnh is a long time and you can make a lot of practice. Running is good, as is swimming. it might be more work, but you'll feel better about it in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom