Best Fins for DM Snorkelling Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should be able to preform this in your Quattro's, but a full foot fins are better for topside swimming.

Obviously you are practicing, hence the first try in the pool. Part of this is just becoming comfortable. Stiff Blade type fins are harder to flutter kick in vs. a floppy fin like the Aeris Velocity, which is a fin I own and highly recommend for swimming, and even diving.

If you want to use the Quattro's (which may not be a bad idea since that is what you will be diving with) you may want to try a scissor kick, or frog kick.

If you are not much of a swimmer, or very out of practice, then just getting in the pool a few times a week will enhance your performance tremendously.

You also have a 400M free swim in under 10 minutes I believe. IMO that is harder to achieve vs. the 800M snorkel in 17.

Did mine in splits - wouldn't again (for sure). Stiff blades, no boots and a little tilt of the pelvis will go a long way to keeping your feet from breaking the surface.

During your classes somebody's going to talk with you about dive emergencies and 'solving the first problem' before the second and subsequent accomodations outrun your ability to manage events underwater. Think about your ankle weight suggestion in that context, bring it up with your instructor for discussion and see if it still makes sense to you.

Oh, and hit the pool. Nothing helps like good cardio, and swimming is some of the best, low impact exercise you can get.

Good luck!

You should be able to preform this in your Quattro's, but a full foot fins are better for topside swimming.

...I was just going to say the same thing

Sometimes, my feet cramp in my full foot fins, I notice freediving...

I wore my Quatro's

Using quattros for snorkelling is not a good idea at all..
I've tried mine for snorkelling; it was a nightmare for my legs..
I've bought Tusa FF9 full foot splits which are really great and easy on legs while swimming on surface.
(yes they are not great looking fins but they're effective and very comfortable and less less expensive than open heels; you can buy 4 pairs of FF9 instead of 1 pair of quattros:wink:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom