Best First Dive Comp under $700?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am having second thoughts about the petrel 2 I ordered (arriving tomorrow). I could have purchased an Aeris A300 CS for slightly less. I think having AI would be nice to have the convince and reassurance my spg is working properly. Is the petrel 2 that much better than the A300 cs?
Yes.

(Apparently messages must be 5 characters long).

I am having second thoughts about the petrel 2 I ordered (arriving tomorrow). I could have purchased an Aeris A300 CS for slightly less. I think having AI would be nice to have the convince and reassurance my spg is working properly.

Two watches, never know what time it is, etc.

Is the petrel 2 that much better than the A300 cs?

Yes, to say nothing of the superiority of Shearwater's service and support versus Aeris's 'we're big, you're small, and we'll force you to work through a dealer and will read our own warranty obligations as narrowly as possible' approach.

yes it is, but if you're concerned, you can always return it. If I was going AI I'd go for one of the Seabears either the T1 or H3 which are priced right in there with the Aeris at msrp. What was the price you were offered for the 300 and is it with or without transmitter? Is supposed to be $950 without, $1300 with.

$700 with the transmitter.

At that price, one still must ponder the massive gap in true versus retail value for the Aeris. US dealer cost on the Petrel is going to be a hair under $700, but not by much.

I am having second thoughts about the petrel 2 I ordered (arriving tomorrow). I could have purchased an Aeris A300 CS for slightly less. I think having AI would be nice to have the convince and reassurance my spg is working properly. Is the petrel 2 that much better than the A300 cs?

I think you put in in the wrong order. The SPG is probably the more reliable measure, reassuring AI is working properly

also, if you want to verify your SPG is working properly, you can get two spg's, or invest in a tank pressure checker *under $40*, and just check at the start of the dive. Bourdon tubes are pretty darn accurate, the SPG is usually the sanity check to the electronics

Abstract. I don't have an Aeris A300 CS but did consider one when they first came out. It is a sweet looking dive computer. But my understanding is that there were some issues when it was first introduced. Don't know current status. It worries me though that it seems to be drastically discounted from its original price at mulipte dealers and I wonder, with the Oceanic and Aeris merger, if it will continue to be supported.

Having said this, at that price and if I wanted a transmitter, I would be very tempted...

If I were to label them, I would say the Aeris is show where the Petrel is substance.

You may want to take a look at this thread if you haven't already.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/aeris/478917-a300cs-oled-dive-computer-21.html

Abstract. I don't have an Aeris A300 CS but did consider one when they first came out. It is a sweet looking dive computer. But my understanding is that there were some issues when it was first introduced. Don't know current status. It worries me though that it seems to be drastically discounted from its original price at mulipte dealers and I wonder, with the Oceanic and Aeris merger, if it will continue to be supported.

Having said this, at that price and if I wanted a transmitter, I would be very tempted...

If I were to label them, I would say the Aeris is show where the Petrel is substance.

You may want to take a look at this thread if you haven't already.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/aeris/478917-a300cs-oled-dive-computer-21.html

I ended up returning the petrel 2 for the aeris a300 cs. Fingers crossed I get a good unit. If I end up enjoying scuba diving that much or do it that often, I will end up buying the petrel as a secondary computer in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom