Best Gear of 07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, at least in my short time reading these boards I've learned that if a Scubaboard member doesn't like something then it must be crap. Some people around here need to get over themselves.

Doubt much will change. It does seem that most SB members can never accept any other view, sad and bad as we say here.

Well, at least in my short time reading these boards I've learned that if a Scubaboard member doesn't like something then it must be crap. Some people around here need to get over themselves.

Well, I appreciate your sentiment but your missing my point. That people dissagree on "best" does not surprise me but I am trying to figure out the WHY of it all. WHY did Scuba Diving Magazine say those items were the BEST and why is it that so many on this board and similar boards not agree and the Spare Air and the Mares stuff are good examples of the disparity? Some of the items in the magazine are undoubtedly good products--no argument--but best as an adjective requires definition. Here is what I think and I could be wrong but in this case the definition of best has something to do with the dollar and not innovation, performance, durability or quality other than by happenstance.

Anyways, I was not trying ot start a fight or cause heartburn--I just wonder sometimes at things like this and the scuba industry more than many industries is full of this sort of thing.

N

Well, I appreciate your sentiment but your missing my point. That people dissagree on "best" does not surprise me but I am trying to figure out the WHY of it all. WHY did Scuba Diving Magazine say those items were the BEST and why is it that so many on this board and similar boards not agree and the Spare Air and the Mares stuff are good examples of the disparity? Some of the items in the magazine are undoubtedly good products--no argument--but best as an adjective requires definition. Here is what I think and I could be wrong but in this case the definition of best has something to do with the dollar and not innovation, performance, durability or quality other than by happenstance.

There is always the chance that there is a little group think going on around here. I don't know. I happen to like some of my Mares gear and yes, I dive it quite a bit. Maybe I'm just easy to please.

People are always going to disagree with what is the best. But around here it seems like some stuff gets written off for no real reason at all.

There is always the chance that there is a little group think going on around here. I don't know. I happen to like some of my Mares gear and yes, I dive it quite a bit. Maybe I'm just easy to please.

People are always going to disagree with what is the best. But around here it seems like some stuff gets written off for no real reason at all.

Mares makes a lot of nice gear. Not all of it is great, some of it is laughable, but plenty is quite good... I own some myself.

What specifically were you defending? I don't think anyone's posts here were specifically saying that anything made by Mares is crap.

Some of you guys are laughing about 'spare air'. Can someone tell me what's so bad about 'spare air' being on the list? :confused: I know that as a 'good diver' you should always pay attention to your psi, but I think it's just as important as the 'safety sausage', or a knife: you hope you won't ever need it, but it's good to have just in case........:D

:confused:What in the heck is a poodle jacket? A BC?

Some of you guys are laughing about 'spare air'. Can someone tell me what's so bad about 'spare air' being on the list? :confused: I know that as a 'good diver' you should always pay attention to your psi, but I think it's just as important as the 'safety sausage', or a knife: you hope you won't ever need it, but it's good to have just in case........:D

Check out any of the dozens of spare air threads on this board, and you'll find pretty good reasoning as to why they aren't very usefull. Even most spare air advocates would have trouble defending them as one of the best products of 2007.

:confused:What in the heck is a poodle jacket? A BC?

Ah, the innocents of babes.

Mares makes a lot of nice gear. Not all of it is great, some of it is laughable, but plenty is quite good... I own some myself.

What specifically were you defending? I don't think anyone's posts here were specifically saying that anything made by Mares is crap.

Every company makes some laughable stuff from time to time. I only mentioned Mares because another poster specifically mentioned their products saying they don't belong on the list.

I can't speak for the Icon as I've never dove one. Most likely though, from what I've read around here, it isn't liked by the SB Kool-Aid drinkers because it isn't a wing. I happen to like my "poodle jackets". Maybe one day I'll get myself a wing, I don't know. But I'm perfectly happy with the BC I have for now and I'm certainly not going to dismiss a product simply because it isn't the style of BC I prefer.

The Abyss? Why shouldn't it be on the list? I'm yet to hear anything bad about the Abyss.

I'll also go on record saying I love AL 80s. There, I said it.

The rest of the stuff, I don't really know. Though I will say that while I would never buy a data mask myself you have to admit there is something very cool about it in a James Bond/Mission Impossible kind of way. And for that alone it belongs on the list if you ask me. :D

Back
Top Bottom