New Gear / Purchase Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want something to work for tech diving, you need to get a BP/W. I don’t know about other instructors, but for my tech instructor, it’s a proper BP/W for doubles or dedicated SM rig. Not some recreational jacket BC that *might* work for doubles.

I’m sorry, but thinking a jacket BC will work for cave diving? What makes you think that would fly?

A BP/W is the only way to “future proof” a BC purchase (unless you decided to go SM)
The BCDs that he is looking at are both Back Inflate BCDs. Neither is a jacket BCD.

Awesome. Thank you everyone for the input here.

If I was to then instead of a regular back-inflate go with a BP/W setup, is there a particular brand / equipment set up that I should go with? I'm sure that this is open to some subjectivity but it would be good to know where to look. I saw Halcyon, Deep 6, Hog and DGX mentioned. So I am now looking at Halcyon for BP/W... Is there anything in particular that would be recommended as far as a full setup goes? Again right now the only thing that I actually have purchased is my exposure / snorkel system and a dive computer (Shearwater AI).

I did again start looking at the Halcyon website but I am not entirely sure where to start with it. There seem to be a number of different options available as far as BP/W setups go. Someone had mentioned the Infinity somewhere, and someone else I believe said to make sure that it was full webbing. It also looks like I will probably have to purchase a single-tank setup first, and then purchase a dual-tank setup later.

Sincerely,

-Ben

Awesome. Thank you everyone for the input here.

If I was to then instead of a regular back-inflate go with a BP/W setup, is there a particular brand / equipment set up that I should go with? I'm sure that this is open to some subjectivity but it would be good to know where to look. I saw Halcyon, Deep 6, Hog and DGX mentioned. So I am now looking at Halcyon for BP/W... Is there anything in particular that would be recommended as far as a full setup goes? Again right now the only thing that I actually have purchased is my exposure / snorkel system and a dive computer (Shearwater AI).

I did again start looking at the Halcyon website but I am not entirely sure where to start with it. There seem to be a number of different options available as far as BP/W setups go. Someone had mentioned the Infinity somewhere, and someone else I believe said to make sure that it was full webbing. It also looks like I will probably have to purchase a single-tank setup first, and then purchase a dual-tank setup later.

Sincerely,

-Ben
You don't need to spend that amount of money on a BPW. A good setup that will last you many years can be had for well under $500. If you pick up a used plate and harness you can get that down under $400 easily.
Shoot me an email to the address in my signature line or private message me. I have an 11 page article on BPW's that will answer most of your questions about one. DO NOT get hung up on brands for the most part. Is Halcyon a good brand? Yes, very. But they are also much more expensive for no more basic functionality.

OP, I'm in a similar situation with the gear search. I'll tell you that I went from diving a typical, ill-fitting jacket BCD one weekend to diving with a well-used Zeagle Ranger the next weekend. The Ranger is a step up, but I won't buy it and don't want to dive with it again. Take this with some salt, since it was an old one from my instructor, but I had two soft weights fall out of the bottom of the integrated pockets with the ripcord system in place. Pissed me off because I couldn't go back to find them. Our waterways and oceans have enough litter as it is! Also, I felt like the wing was huge and flappy. Also, the entire BCD felt too big in general. I'm searching for a BP/W setup now because I'm convinced that is the way to go if you're into diving for the long run. Like you, I'm planning on tech diving in the future and I find it silly to bounce back and forth between systems. Tech divers need simplicity to avoid task overloading. Learn good fundamentals now so it's muscle memory and second nature later. Just my .02 cents.

DGX Custom - DGX Gears Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package figure out whether you need aluminum or stainless plate, or just do like me and get both plates with a harness on each and just change the wing back and forth (two screws). You can also get the doubles wing later to use on the same stuff.

OMS Slipstream Fins If you don't have fins in this style get some, recreational fins are utterly useless for maneuvering.

As an alternative, Deep 6 Gear
I use their thick boots and I eventually will get a set of their unusually light weight fins for travel because the ones a currently use are lovely with a thick full wet suit for trim but weigh a crap ton more than I need for flying and using shorty wet suits.
I haven't tried any of their other stuff but everything I hear seems to be good stuff and they do have back plate and wing setups and everything.

If I were suggesting a regulator to someone who wasn't going to service it themselves I would probably suggest a used aqualung legend lx supreme. They seem to always be on ebay for half of new and they work well, plus are environmentally sealed which is nice if its always in salt.
If you want to service it yourself there are a whole lot of oddball options new and used out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom