Best 'Lesser Known' dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend of mine just told me to check out the Bell Island Wrecks in Newfoundland....I looked at the pictures and was so amazed by their beauty. I can't believe no one talks about them (or at least not that I've seen).

Granted I haven't been there, but it certainly appears to be world-class diving at a lesser known area.

The first real dive vacation I took was to Byron Bay, Australia. You hear about it occasionally, but it's definitely "lesser known". I thought the diving was fabulous -- huge schools of fish, ranging from butterflyfish to big jewfish. Sharks, rays, skates; nudibranchs and Spanish Dancers. All on a background of beautiful tunicates, sponges, and crinoids. And a ten minute boat ride from town!

Blue Lake S. of Wendover NV, just across the border in Utah. This is a geothermal hot springs so we can dive all winter. The lake is actually two springs with a ridge between. The Salt Lake stores know it and bring their classes to it. But they stay in the closer part of the lake. There are man-made structures in the lake and training platforms on two levels.

To locate it, get on any map program and look at the satelite view. There is a patch of green just into Utah at the edge of the Great Salt Lake. The lake with the dock visible is Blue Lake.

You're kidding right? The viz is usually about 5 feet at best, especially if there are brand new OW classes in at the same time. Also, the parking area is little more than a mosquito infested swamp. Middle of the week, it's not as bad because the classes come for the most part on the weekends, but it's still nothing to brag about. About the only good thing I have to say about Blue Lake is that you get a night in Nevada, where fun is not illegal like it is in Utah. The reason why the shops in Salt Lake go there is because it's one of the few places that you can get to around Utah that is accessible during the winter.

Wow, 20+ kt tidal currents...guess you have to be pretty certain about tide times?

Yeah, I dont remember if there where monthly schemes or weekly but yes you have to know it.
You only dive every 6th hours when the current turns, otherwise it'll be too strong and push you down to depths Nuno Gomez wouldnt even dream about.

Needless to say, all dives are drift-dives =)

Apart from the strong current the diving is just amazing, 40m vis, drop offs, canyons and well you have to experience it to understand :)

Lots of Aquarium dives including the NJ Aquarium, the National Aquarium in Baltimore, the terrific small Atlantis Aquarium in Long Island & my favorite, the whale shark tour at the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta. They are great for off-season tune-ups.

Lots of Aquarium dives including the NJ Aquarium, the National Aquarium in Baltimore, the terrific small Atlantis Aquarium in Long Island & my favorite, the whale shark tour at the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta. They are great for off-season tune-ups.

We need to get out to Minnesota too and do the one at the "Mall of America" as well!

We are doing a wreck dive this weekend in wreck valley. It's depending on conditions but the Lizzy D is a likely candidate. Can anyone else make a recommendation should I be able to sway the group to a different site?
RP

Since you are looking for all abilities, nothing could be easier than the Frederiksted Pier dive in St. Croix (or cheaper - it's a shore dive.)

I think it is a hidden gem, you don't hear much about it but it's great dive - night or day. Swimming through rows and rows of ghostly pylons that are covered with corals and sponges; with abundant sea life all around including octopus, frogfish, and seahorses.

But you are not allowed to dive the pier when cruise ships are in port so keep that in mind when planning your trip.

Another outstanding experience is night diving with Mantas in Kona Hawaii - although it's not exactly "hidden" - but deserves a place of honor as an "easy but fabulous dive" IMO.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,Those are great suggestions! But I am diving in the NE US this weekend! South shore of Long island - St. Croix is a long boat ride from here :) 404 Not Found are a lot of choices, but Lizzy D may be the best. If anyone has been to any of these sites and can make a recommendation I would appreciate it!!Thank you !RickP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom