Best lithium battery chemistry for a DPV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone1004,

I have done quite a bit of research into this so far, many threads exhausted, most of them raise more questions than they answer,(to me anyway) that's what prompted me to start this thread I wanted to find the battery for me to use and why I linked those 3 contenders in post 11.

Not looking for a performance gain (increased voltage), and know you cant save any weight, I am looking for longer run times and battery longevity which I thought was the only point to the conversion in a UV series scooter. Being that it is a brushed motor, and a fixed voltage, any increase in performance would destroy the motor/brush board (this is what I have read).

Thanks for that link, have followed it since it started and many more, unfortunately most are dormant now, and billyf has not been on cdf in over 6 months.

All this might be academic anyway as I just checked on my motor and its pre 2007, so the older version.
Would the Venom electronics controller for the UV protect this older motor from high(er) voltages resulting from the conversion to lithium?

Your input has been greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

Go right to the source and call Rodney at SS. He'll tell you everything you need to know!

venom won't protect it, the battery management has to keep the voltage back, call Rodney and he will talk you through it. Billy is still around.

Unless you need the super long run times that Li-Po will offer your best bet for cost/performance/longevity is LiFe, second best is SLA. The batteries you mention will work and be a slight run time improvement over the SLA's. They should drop right in.

Hi Im new here and am looking to do the same thing with my scooters also a uv18 and uv26 mine is also an older one before 2007, and i can also get the same tipe of battery ,is it going to incresse the burn time ?Its being checked over by SS at the moment i will ask them and repost to say if no one is to sure the LiFe ones i have seen are 12v 25 amp but are said to behave like a SLA 12v 40 amp.
Cheers Darrell

It won't. The LiFE will behave exactly like a 12v 25ah. And you'll get a truer 25ah. But it will not run like a 40ah.

So what will make it run like a 40 amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a 40 amp battery.... amp hours are amp hours no matter what the chemistry is. The smaller voltage drop will mean a bit more oomph with the lithium chemistry vs. SLA, but volts are volts, and amps are amps, no matter whether they come from a lemon, or from LiPo batteries, you'd just need a lot of lemons....

a 40 amp battery.... amp hours are amp hours no matter what the chemistry is. The smaller voltage drop will mean a bit more oomph with the lithium chemistry vs. SLA, but volts are volts, and amps are amps, no matter whether they come from a lemon, or from LiPo batteries, you'd just need a lot of lemons....

Ah, well sort of. It's important to understand how various battery chemistries are rated. Many SLA's are rated at a 20 hour discharge rate. What does that mean? It means a "10" amphour SLA battery with a 20 hour rating was loaded at 0.5 amps. If you increase the load you will see decrease in the amphour capacity. A 10 amp hour SLA can't deliver 10 amps for one hour, or even 1 amp for 10 hours, but can provide 0.5 amps for 20 hours.

Nickle based batteries are often rated a 1 or 5 hours, either being much closer to the typical run times of a scooter than 20 hour SLA's

Lithium can be all over the map, but often C/5 or a 5 hour rate is used for nominal capacity.

What does this mean to the scooter user? Amphours are not comparable from chemistry to chemistry unless you also specify the discharge rate.

Tobin

It won't. The LiFE will behave exactly like a 12v 25ah. And you'll get a truer 25ah. But it will not run like a 40ah.
OK but is it going to last longer than a lead battery or is it just a waist of money im looking for more burn time.
Cheers Darrell

tbone1004,
I should have been clearer.
I meant what (insert part #) battery's would fit, THAT would give you a 40 amp/ hr set up like the SS LiFE 40 battery performance numbers

A few people say they know, but no one comes forward with an actual part #
That's what I am asking.
LiPo
LiFe
Prismatic cells, I don't care , what's the part numbers that fit, and I can decide the rest

Putting on flame suit now. ; )

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom