Best lithium battery chemistry for a DPV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK but is it going to last longer than a lead battery or is it just a waist of money im looking for more burn time.
Cheers Darrell

To simplify what Tobin said...

In a scooter at normal cruise power, the 25Ah LiFe will yield similar runtimes to a 40Ah SLA, because you will not actually get 40Ah out of the SLA battery at higher current loads.

The electro-chemical conversion efficiency of SLA decreases significantly as the current load increases. If you were to discharge a 40Ah SLA battery at 40 amps, you would likely get about 20Ah out of it.

From Alternative Energy eMagazine - A Comparison of Lead Acid to Lithium-ion in Stationary Storage Applications | AltEnergyMag

allcell07.png

Hope that helps,
Jon

OK then if i understand right a SLA 25amp will last the same time at cruse speed as a litium 25 amp but at full the litium will last longer?I know i am a bit slow,i just would like to get it right with out waisting loads of money for nothing!
Cheers Darrell

OK then if i understand right a SLA 25amp will last the same time at cruse speed as a litium 25 amp but at full the litium will last longer?I know i am a bit slow,i just would like to get it right with out waisting loads of money for nothing!
Cheers Darrell

Apparently I failed completely in trying to explain the difference in how amphours are determined for SLA vs Li-Ion. Sorry, don't know what more I can add......

Tobin

We had good outcomes with PIng batteries i.e. 40AH lifepo4 briks. they work nice.. only fit in gavins though. i also experiment with 18650 liio panasonic made and proper BMSs. easy to build and fit into smaller scooters. i currently have N 19 outfitted with 35AH LIIO pack. 14P 7 S configuration. agsin most important is to find matching BMS and charger.. therefore read specs for cells first and make sure everything matches on low/hig cutoffs and discharge rates. Dspe , yes kinda, SLA wil give the rated energy , but much slower and at lower rate , perhaps too low to be practical. If you u run it at higher load capacity goes down (hence always burn test em, i use 1.3 ohm resistor), LIio on another hand can serve the rated capacity at higher discharge rates.

After some research and talking to a few battery makers overseas including Ping, who was most helpful. I will most likely be going with Headway cylindrical cells, 40152S 15Ah
in a 3P8S configuration giving me a 45 Ah battery.
That's the plan for now anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom