Best location to do PADI Wreck Specialty??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whooyeah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Over the next few months where is the best location in Thailand (or not far from) to do the PADI wreck specialty?

I know pattaya has a few wrecks.

I heard you can stay on Ko Racha Yai and do it through Raya Divers there.

Has anyone had any experience with it before?

The wrecks at Racha Yai aren't really special in any way to offer a superlative wreck spec course, IMO (and I can teach wreck spec). Pattaya has clear advantages where wrecks are concerned and is probably the top choice in Thailand, and Tao also has better wrecks than we've got here. I think the very best place nearby, though, is probably Subic in the Philippines, or else Coron.

:eek:fftopic:
LOL, exposure, I just looked at your profile and was surprised to see that you achieved your instructor rating at the ripe old age of 107!
Congrats on your new instructorship, and happy birthday, old man!
(I realize there must be a typo someplace in the birthdate you gave SB when you registered, but it made me laugh, which is always nice at the end of a long day.)
:focus:

Thank you Quero :) My birth date was wringly inserted but accepted, so I kept it like that. Keep it for you, but I am younger :wink:

Thanks for your congrats, I completed the course in dec, so now I'll need to use it :)

By the way I did the wreck specialty (4 Dives) in Subic and had a lot of fun there. A really great place that I miss.

Actually I live in Chiang Mai, Thailand now so I think pattaya will be the easiest.

Has anyone done the course in pattaya or can recommend a dive center that teaches the wreck specialty thoroughly?

Pattaya has various wrecks, the Kood and the Khram which are more or less directly in front of Pattaya beach, one is at the near islands and one is the further away islands.
Than there's the Suddhahip or aka Hardeep, getting there requires a mini bus ride and a boat trip which will be organized by each local dc.
I would recommend mermaids, they're one of the bigger if not the biggest dc in PTY. Adventure Divers is a good alternative if you prefer a smaller dc.

Koh Tao really has only one wreck that suits recreational dive standards.

If you have the money and time, I also recommend Subic in the Philippines, a contributor here, Devondiver is a great wreck instructor who teaches there.

Hi there !

Where you choose to go is probably going to depend on budget and time. Other posters have mentioned Koh Tao - which is where I live...the training wreck here is called the HTMS Sattakut and its perfect for fulfilling all aspects of your course.

You can have a look at a post I made about penetrating the wreck here - to show you what its like.

Diving the HTMS Sattakut, Koh Tao, Thailand. « Diving « Diving On Koh Tao « Master Divers

The course here costs 7700B

Have fun on your course wherever you choose to go !

Ayesha

IMO, best recreational depth wrecks in thailand

1)
Suddhahip (aka Hardeep) off Sarmesarn, close to Pattaya. Its got history (a WW2 wreck, you can learn lots at Home, its on its side in 30 meters and has all sorts of interesting bits.

2) Sattakut at Koh Tao. Newly sunk, its got a deck gun! But don't know why the Thai navy didn't just leave it on its side. Upright, I found most of the wreck to be boring.

3) Kood / Kram off Pattaya. They like older versions of Sattakut, but minus the deck gun.

Plenty of dive shops near these sites to take a wreck course

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom