Best motion/seasick meds for divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ginger will only work for moderate sea on moderately seasick persons, Gravol and Dramamine will cause drowsiness, scopolamine has a lot of side effects, quite a potent drug, the best i've seen so far is Bonine, no drowsiness or side effects, you can safely have a little alcool with it, it worked miracles on the crew of an oceanic crossing i've done, one month at sea on a 40' sailboat (including 4 days of gale winds and 20' waves in the north atlantic, if you have to be seasick once in your life, that will be the place :-S) all the crew was sick except me, i took the Bonine at the start of the storm and gave it to the other crews after they started being sick and all recovered quickly (it's a chew on tablet so even if you're nauseous you can chew endlessly on it and your body will absorb the medication).

my 2 cents

Before you go pharmacological, I find that being well hydrated and avoiding spicy food and alcohol the night before helps. I've read many times not to drink coffee, but I like my morning coffee and almost always have it. Sitting on deck instead of inside the cabin of a small stuffy boat definitely helps.

As far as drugs go, my vote is for a scopalomine patch. I've been using it for decades regardless of the weather forecast. Considering the cost of a boat ride, gas and tolls to get to the boat and taking a day off from work, a scope patch is cheap insurance.

I've started cutting the patch in half with no change in the benefit. It gives me cotton mouth, but that just reminds me to drink a lot of water, which is a good thing. It definitely has one side effect for me that I will delicately say takes a few trips to the head to clean out. But better the head than chumming off the side of the boat.

Since they tell you to apply it 6 hours before going out, I take it off mid day when on a dive boat. The drug is still going to be in your system for a few hours after removing the patch. I've convinced myself it makes me less tired at the end of the day.

I have gotten seasick once while wearing a patch. But I've been using it for hundreds of dive trips, so I think it's a pretty good record.

An important thing to remember about sea sickness is that it's all in your head, caused by your eyes and ears working against each other to fool your brain. So if you can convince yourself that the remedy you choose is going to work, I bet you could take placebos and get the same effect.

A good question, not amenable to a single specific answer. There are a variety of medications available to combat motion sickness. A reasonable, but not necessarily comprehensive, summary, would include (but not be limited to:

Cyclizine Marazine
Meclizine Bonine; Antivert
Dimenhydrinate Triptone; Dramamine
Dimenhydramine Benadryl
Scopalamine Various
Ginger (Powder, liquid, slices, etc.)
Promethazine Phenergan

What each diver looks for is the optimal balance between effectiveness (efficacy) and side effects (safety). Virtually ALL anti-emetic compounds have some degree of drowsiness associated with their use. Most of them are anti-cholinergic compounds, which explains both their effectiveness as well as their potential to produce drowsiness. This class of compounds decreases gastrointestinal movement (motility) as well as gastric secretions. They also produce drowsiness as a central nervous system effect. There is no rocket science here.

In reality, individual reaction to different compounds – individual benefit as well as individual extent of side effects – is just that –INDIVIDUAL. I hesitate to say one is better than another because ‘better’ is very much a personal perspective. At the same time, in general the dose provided by the prescription products is generally higher than the dose provided by the over-the counter (OTC) products, even where the active ingredient is the same. The simple solution to that discrepancy,- by the way – simply take double the recommended OTC dose.

As one example, while I personally prefer Triptone to Bonine, in reality I think the difference is minimal. I haven’t tried every compound, so I cannot compare. Once I found Triptone works for me, the issue was resolved.

Two factors, possibly more important than the active ingredient:

1. When you take the medication. Any medication is more likely to be effective is you take the first dose 12 – 16 hours before the start of the trip, and take a second dose at the beginning (when the boat leaves the dock). You are more likely to have higher (and potentially more effective ) serum concentrations if you do that, rather than just taking the medication as you leave the dock.
2. What you eat and drink around the time of diving– some benefit from saltines and ginger ale, while others have specific, personal preferences. Find out what works for YOU. In general, a) adequate hydration before the trip, and b) avoiding foods that ordinarily cause gastric distress for YOU, etc., are reasonably prudent actions as well.

Great summary! Except Benadryl is diphenhrdramine not dimenhydramine. The essence of many med errors in the medical world.

You gotta experiment til you get it right. For me Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) is all that works. Meclazine just doesn't cut it. I do get a little drowsy but what's wrong with a little nap by the pool or beach anyway? Cocktail in hand! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! I need some saltwater therapy!!!!! Anyway......

Scopalomine works good for me as well but with the rigors of diving I cant keep the damn thing in place. Any tips for that? Tried duct tape, mastisol, different locations. Just can't keep it on.

Also what is this talk of avoiding alcohol? How can you do that on a dive vacation?!?!? Impossible!!

Instead of the patch, try the pill. Used to be called Scopace, but went out of production. Now it is available from any compounding pharmacy. Good for 8 hours, cheaper than the patch.

Reactions: BRT
There are a variety of medications available to combat motion sickness. A reasonable, but not necessarily comprehensive, summary, would include (but not be limited to:

Cyclizine Marazine
Meclizine Bonine; Antivert
Dimenhydrinate Triptone; Dramamine
Dimenhydramine Benadryl
Scopalamine Various
Ginger (Powder, liquid, slices, etc.)
Promethazine Phenergan

What each diver looks for is the optimal balance between effectiveness (efficacy) and side effects (safety). Virtually ALL anti-emetic compounds have some degree of drowsiness associated with their use. Most of them are anti-cholinergic compounds, which explains both their effectiveness as well as their potential to produce drowsiness. This class of compounds decreases gastrointestinal movement (motility) as well as gastric secretions. They also produce drowsiness as a central nervous system effect. There is no rocket science here.

In reality, individual reaction to different compounds – individual benefit as well as individual extent of side effects – is just that –INDIVIDUAL. I hesitate to say one is better than another because ‘better’ is very much a personal perspective. At the same time, in general the dose provided by the prescription products is generally higher than the dose provided by the over-the counter (OTC) products, even where the active ingredient is the same. The simple solution to that discrepancy,- by the way – simply take double the recommended OTC dose.

As one example, while I personally prefer Triptone to Bonine, in reality I think the difference is minimal. I haven’t tried every compound, so I cannot compare. Once I found Triptone works for me, the issue was resolved.

Two factors, possibly more important than the active ingredient:

1. When you take the medication. Any medication is more likely to be effective is you take the first dose 12 – 16 hours before the start of the trip, and take a second dose at the beginning (when the boat leaves the dock). You are more likely to have higher (and potentially more effective ) serum concentrations if you do that, rather than just taking the medication as you leave the dock.
2. What you eat and drink around the time of diving– some benefit from saltines and ginger ale, while others have specific, personal preferences. Find out what works for YOU. In general, a) adequate hydration before the trip, and b) avoiding foods that ordinarily cause gastric distress for YOU, etc., are reasonably prudent actions as well.

Everyone has a favorite, mine is Zofran (ondansetron).

Very much an off-label use (its primary use is for chemo-patients and nausea). For me zero side effects, extremely effective (I think I could get sea sick in a bathtub). None of the others mentioned above even begin to cut it for me. I've been told the USN SEALS use it. Relative expensive (IIRC ~$4 per dose), but if nothing else works, priceless

I've always used Bonine. Works well with no drowsiness/hangover.

Scopalomine works good for me as well but with the rigors of diving I cant keep the damn thing in place. Any tips for that? Tried duct tape, mastisol, different locations. Just can't keep it on.

You could try wiping the area with an alcohol pad before applying the patch. Ever since I started doing that, my patch hasn't moved.

You could try wiping the area with an alcohol pad before applying the patch. Ever since I started doing that, my patch hasn't moved.

It takes several hours for the drug to be flushed out of your body, so if it falls off mid day, chances are you'll still receive the benefit of it for the whole day.

I've always used Bonine. Works well with no drowsiness/hangover.

1+.

I've found Bonine is most effective (like most motion sickness meds) if it is started the day before the dive trip, or at the latest before going to bed the night before the dive trip, then taking the recommended dose throughout the day(s) while on the boat. This allows the medication to build up to more effective levels in the bloodstream.

I have not noticed significant side effects with Bonine, but did always notice some drowsiness and dry mouth with Scopalomine patches when I used them back in the 1980's on deep sea tugboats.

Best wishes.

Great summary! Except Benadryl is diphenhrdramine not dimenhydramine. The essence of many med errors in the medical world.

You gotta experiment til you get it right. For me Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) is all that works. Meclazine just doesn't cut it. I do get a little drowsy but what's wrong with a little nap by the pool or beach anyway? Cocktail in hand! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! I need some saltwater therapy!!!!! Anyway......

Also what is this talk of avoiding alcohol? How can you do that on a dive vacation?!?!? Impossible!!

You're close to the correct spelling of benadryl's active ingredient but it's actually: Diphenhydramine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom