Best new toys at DEMA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the Bladefish 5000 has been through some pretty extensive testing. I know it has been (and still is being) tested by a diver with pretty good credentials in scooter diving. The size, shape, weight, power, and battery consumption of this scooter is clearly different from what we think of as the "traditional" scooter. I think this has everyone bewildered. But make no mistake, for a recreational propulsion device, this thing is going to be the real deal.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Has anyone taken the Bladefish 5000 for a ride in full gear yet? Critique? It says rated to 50m/165' @3.5 mph HMMM! Is this one of those if it's too good to be true deals, my momma told me about.
Amazon sells it as a frontman for diversbestbuy.com. I called diversbest buy and was told that it recently passed leak tests to 20 - 30m. ?? Huh?? The unit is being sold for $800.00 and there is a NO RETURN policy.

I guess the first buyers are the "shakedown cruise"

I spoke with the underwater GPS manufacturer for a few minutes. I was impressed with the unit. Each wrist unit monitors not only the location of the boat but the other divers so you can always see their position, as well as the boat's position. It requires a boat unit that has an antenna that drops into the water to relay information. The manufacterer offered to give away the boat unit based upon the purchase of half a dozen or so GPS units. It's an impressive wrist display and easy to read. I am waiting for the manufacturer to follow up with additional information. We are thinking of becoming a dealer for their products, as well as a user on our boat.

Although the GPS unit was very impressive, my favorite new toy at the show was the new Atomic Cobalt dive computer. Very impressive. Available in the spring retailing for about $1100 to $1200.
Larry

I was at DEMA and would agree that the GPS and scooter kinda stole the show.

However my love is for an Oceanic OC1 wrist computer. I am a die hard Oceanic fan and love my Datamask. Why not use the same transmitter for the backup wrist computer as well. When I find out Keyman prices I will jump on one. One can't dive with too many computers !!!!

However my love is for an Oceanic OC1 wrist computer.
Shame on me! It's like such a part of my wrist, that I forgot that THIS is the OC1's debut at DEMA! I love it. They want to upgrade the firmware and I just can't seem to part with it. When I get back from the Sea of Cortez, I promise I will send it in! Maybe.

The best part about the OC1? I can read it underwater and it's not like having an old time clock strapped to my wrist. On some of them I swear I see a set of double bells on the top! :rofl3:

The GPS looks swell, if it lives up to its claims. Obviously it is important to know how to navigate with a compass, but I'll never be of the school of thought that more information is a bad thing.

I can navigate back to my entry point with a compass, but learning how to find all the things you want to see during the dive can take a lot of patience and experience, depending on the site. And what if you find a small feature that you want to return to, which isn't near any useful landmarks? What if you are mid-water, in 5 ft vis, doing your safety stop and wondering where the current may be taking you?

If I'm a lesser diver for wanting to see a moving dot on a map... well, so be it. I have a feeling that this thing will be unreliable and much too expensive but I would be delighted to be wrong.

If the company wants to speed adoption, they should find a way to get those surface beacons permanently installed at popular dive sites. It would not be easy to solve the power and theft issues but it might be worth it to try.

And I can't wait for a Bladefish review from an experienced diver with a ton of gear to haul around...

Doc
An oceanic dealer should be able to flash the firmware at the local shop. Just need the standard download cable and the flash software from Oceanic.

.....However my love is for an Oceanic OC1 wrist computer. ....
The one I got from them to create the simulations (the videos visible at the Oceanic's booth at DEMA) is firmly wrapped around my wrist. And will stay there for LONG time.

.....Why not use the same transmitter for the backup wrist computer as well...
Yes you can use the same Transmitter to send data to multiple Oceanic 's dive computers.
Few months ago in a test dive I had 3 Oceanic computers (including Datamask and OC1) on me and only one Oceanic transmitter (the second transmitter was for the Galileo Sol).

AM

What if you are mid-water, in 5 ft vis, doing your safety stop and wondering where the current may be taking you?

That's when the safety stop becomes OPTIONAL.... Go to the surface, deploy your SMB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom