Best non-dSLR for u/w and land?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfield54

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be buying a new setup and am strongly considering the Olympus C-8080 (w/ an Ikelite housing and strobe) instead of a dSLR, because I want movie mode as well. The 28-140mm lens on the C-8080 is very attractive. Is there a better choice out there that I might be overlooking?? Thanks in advance, Roy

From what i've heard the x0x0 line since the 5050 isn't the best choice for underwater. For my money i'd say the Fuji E900 is your best choice for underwater digicam right now. It will also take great above water pics but you need some special adapter if you want to add any add-on lenses above water. I don't really know much about that though.

Chris

I recently returned from Bonaire where I used my 8080 for the first time on a dive trip. I'm satisfied with its performace. I'm new to digital photography and I enjoy learning this new hobby with the 8080. The genuine disappointment is the RAW feature. Very slow to store the image. My 8080 will be more than enough till I choose to go DSLR route. In any case the camera is discontinued and imho if you pay more $600, it's not worth it.

V

There are so many good cameras out there that for someone to recommend "the best" is nigh on to impossible. Best for what?

(NOTE -- I'm not an "expert" like so many others here -- but I have spent way too much time reading Pop Photography, DPReview, etc. -- so here goes)

All cameras are compromises -- size, cost, resolution, lens, etc. so without having a clue what YOU want to do with your camera, there is no way to say this is "the best" for uw/land. Do you want a large LCD screen? Do you want RAW? Do you want 28mm wide angle or 10X telephoto? Do you want really good glass (Canon L) or image stabilization? Do you plan to take action pictures on land (for example at a kid's soccer game) or is most of your picture taking "static?" Do you want to be able to put the camera in your shirt pocket or carry it around your neck or in a pouch?

Without the answers to those questions (as starters) there is just no way to answer your basic question.

For what its worth, I just ordered a Canon S80 & Canon UW Case to replace my DiMage Xg for UW pictures. However the DiMage will remain a backup UW camera AND my primary snapshot camera (because it fits in the front of my fannypack and thus is always with me). On trips, the S80 will be given to my wife while I take pics with my dSLR when we are on land -- and she'll have the DiMage UW while I take back the S80.

Clear as mud?

:14: :14: Rfield54,

I agree with Peter, there are so many things to consider that it's impossible to say what's best. I have 2 Oly C5050Z's, PT-015's and Inon strobes. I am very happy with the performance of the camera. Drawbacks, sure there are but for what I want in UW pics, the Oly 5050 is fine. Check out Gilligan's photo's with the Oly5050 and they are great (some even without an external flash) :god:

If I had it all to do again (with the knowledge I have gained), I would go straight to dSLR and be done with it for a few years. In this area you can never keep up with the new or best. Choose the camera that best completes your needs and work with it.

Most of the newer digital camera's out now will do what you need. Just go for price, capability and accessories that meet your needs. It's not the camera, but the photographer that make the shots worth while; just look at Gilligan's photos to see.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
MM1 :14:

Peter Guy:
There are so many good cameras out there that for someone to recommend "the best" is nigh on to impossible. Best for what?

There are only two reasons why I don't prefer a dSLR. 1) I need movie mode 2) Too much stuff with lenses, etc (minor reason). I've been there with my Nikon 35mm set-up. I guess I want a digital camera that does everything well and nothing poorly...does it exist?? You know: moderate focus time in low light, low to moderate noise at high ISO, decent LCD screen, battery life, a good versatile lens, world peace...THE GOOD STUFF. Oh, I'm not interested in shooting action scenes, nor do I need extreme telephoto. I currently shoot with a Fuji (S602), but there's no housing made for it. It's time to upgrade anyway.

rfield54,

I started using an Oly 8080 exclusively about a year ago and I like it alot. I must say my only other experience UW is with the Oly 5050. So keep what I say in perspective. I like the 8080 for its ability to go from supermacro to wideangle in a matter of seconds. The combination of 8 megapixels and supermacro allow you to get close and still have a lot of latitude with cropping. I have used the Oly housing (which you can get for less than $200 if you shop around on the web) in over 80 shore dives and have had no problem with it.

The only drawbacks may be the slow write times in RAW and it is hard for the autofocus to lock in under low light conditions. You can solve the autofocus problem with a strong HID light. I bought a canister light recently for night dives and no more autofocus problems.

You can check out my gallery for samples. Pictures dated after March 2005 are all taken with the 8080.

Hope that helps.

Nick

Well there's a good a recommendation as they come. If Nick shoots with it then it, by definition it is a great camera.

One thing that that did shock me when I read the specifications is that it only focuses down to 0.8 meters (2.5'), ***. That is out of range of most stuff UW. I would guess a WA lens would fix that problem.

I've just been through the agonising process of buying a new Camera for use above and below water.

I've had an Olympus C740 for a while now, but wanted (a) a wider angle for land, and (b) a much wider angle for Underwater - I'm going to see Whale Sharks in May (I hope!).

My criteria were:
1) Built-in wide angle (well, wider than 35mm equivalent, anyway)
2) Underwater housing available that won't break the bank
3) Ability to add other underwater lenses to the housing, ideally the Inon UWL-100.

I decided on Olympus rather than other makes because of the easy availability and relatively low price of their underwater housings. I was also happy with my experience of the C740, so thought I'd try another in the same range.

I eventually decided on the C7070, rather than the C8080, because of point (3) above. Although you can add a Wide angle adapter lens to the C8080, it goes inside the case, which then needs a different port. As far as I know, there's no underwater lenses you can add to the front of the c8080 housing.

With the C7070, you get the best of both worlds - if you want to put a lens inside the case, and put a different port on the front, you can. Equally, if you want to be able to change from Macro to Wide Angle within the same dive, you can use Inon underwater lenses with it.

I now have more or less the setup shown at the bottom of this page. Can't wait to try it underwater!

The only problem is likely to be finding a C7070 for sale - they're as rare as rocking horse ***** - at least in the UK. I eventually picked one up on Ebay for just over £400. The underwater housing, strobe, wide angle lens (but not the dome) cost me just over £1000 - so probably about $1000 in the US.

Anyway, that's my input - I'm not claiming to be an expert, but thought I'd share my thoughts with the forum.

Neil.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom