Best period for Similan cruise??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hallboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I can go there beginning of December or end of March begining of April. Both are good season for a cruise in Similans Island; but is one of them better?

Ps i could Spend a few days in bangkok too

hallboy:
I can go there beginning of December or end of March begining of April. Both are good season for a cruise in Similans Island; but is one of them better?

Ps i could Spend a few days in bangkok too

It depends on what you prefer.
Beginning December = Less divers
End March = More chance of whale sharks

Either way both equal some beautiful diving.

End of March
Weather is hot, you can guarantee calm seas, more chance of the big fish.

I mean weather is hot in December too, but in March it's HOT.

Over the last couple of years, March-April-early May has been the best time to dive, and the best chance for finding whalesharks.

Suggest you maybe also try to dive Hin Daeng while you're here.

I have done one at each time. I can't really remember a difference in temp, but the seas were definately clamer during the April trip.

Also, April 13-15 is Songkran festival, which is the Thai New Year (Water Festival). Basically drunk people running around hosing each other down with water (at least in the tourist areas. If you have never been there for that, I recommend it.

December 5th is the King's Birthday, and you would want to plan to be at sea that day, as pretty much everything is shutdown for it.

Like the others said, either time is good.

djkpsu:
I have done one at each time. I can't really remember a difference in temp, but the seas were definately clamer during the April trip.

Also, April 13-15 is Songkran festival, which is the Thai New Year (Water Festival). Basically drunk people running around hosing each other down with water (at least in the tourist areas. If you have never been there for that, I recommend it.

December 5th is the King's Birthday, and you would want to plan to be at sea that day, as pretty much everything is shutdown for it.

Like the others said, either time is good.

And at what moment can i expect the better visibility?

In Decemer the vis will general be better. Later on in the season, starting more or less February, there is more plankton in the water, decreasing the visibility but increasing the chances of manta rays and whale sharks (although the latter you will normally not see at the Similans until April.

The last couple of seasons, the best chances of manta rays and whale sharks have been at Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, with also plenty of manta rays at Koh Bon.

Thanks. As i could come around the 5 december; ( king's birthday ) would i find a at least a taxi a restaurant etc???

hallboy:
Thanks. As i could come around the 5 december; ( king's birthday ) would i find a at least a taxi a restaurant etc???
No problem in Phuket which is more of a foreigners tourist destination. If you do come to Phuket around that date, be sure to book domestic flights in advance.

Sunrise:
No problem in Phuket which is more of a foreigners tourist destination. If you do come to Phuket around that date, be sure to book domestic flights in advance.

And in Bangkok? My plane on fifth december is at 2 PM: taxis ans buses are running??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom