Best place Bali for good beaches and clean water for snorkelling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
HI guys, I'm going up with my partner in late October and looking for a few days with white beaches, coral and snorkelling. My partner doesn't dive so I will have a few days at LDR diving before we move on to a place where she can snorkel from a beach preferably.

The google search brought up Padang Bai and I have been there diving but it didn't look too good for snorkelling..

Hope you can help

regards Ardy

I assume LDR is Liberty Dive Resort? If so, then anywhere you are diving she could snorkel.

Bali being a busy and somewhat recently evolving volcanic wonderland is not so much a "clean white beaches pretty coral lagoon" kind of place. However this kind of experience might be encountered somewhat in the manufactured Nusa Dua resort areas, or some of the rugged & wave-pummeled destination beaches of Nusa Penida

If you don't mind some volcanic black sands and stones, the shores of Tulamben & Amed are teeming with life, including local guys who will shuttle & chaperone lovely shallower reef snorkels via small stout fishing junkungs, as well as stylish freediver schools for all levels of experience.

On a calm day there are dozens of snorkelers perusing the Liberty wreck and Japanese wreck areas

Buy some tickets, get on a boat, take her to Gili Air, snorkel with turtles, enjoy beautiful beaches, and thank me later.
Thanks Matt, booked a trip to Gilli Air and accommodation looks good.

On this note, are fast (or 'small') boats from Amed <-> Gili running currently?
Checked on this but they ain't running. Thanks anyway..

Hi,
For snorkeling in Bali, I recommend you to first go to Amed/Tulamben : it is black sand but you will also enjoy connecting to the nature. No more speed boat to go from Amed to Gili (Bali regulation now wants a pier for boarding speed boats) but it only takes one hour from Amed to get back to Padang Bay and then connect to the Gili islands. Trawangan is Party all night but Air & Nemo are cool to relax and snorkel.
For water sports, the danger is at the surface not deep down, so while snorkeling better have a kind of inflatable ring buoy coz jukung boats and diving boats are numerous ... Usually while in Bali, it is also cool to have at least a day trip to Nusa Penida to snorkel with manta rays (Manta Point, all year round).
When you have time, consider Bunaken (Sulawesi) to snorkel on top of its walls and see dozen of turtles in a colourful reef.
PS : Fine white sand in Bali : only in Nusa Dua but it is a boring private beach of expensive hotels ...

Aw

Awesome. I hope you love it as much as my family does.
Hi Matt any suggestions for restaurants, cafes etc.? We are off 2 weeks tomorrow. 3 days diving in Tulamben and then 3 days in Gilli Air.

Back
Top Bottom