Best place to live as a retired diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, from what others have said, sounds like the high payments are a bit hard on the coast - along with some insurers deciding not to insure coastal property.

Same as anywhere in the world. I had a house in Cape Hatteras for years and the price of insurance in Florida is nothing like that insanity.

Same as anywhere in the world. I had a house in Cape Hatteras for years and the price of insurance in Florida is nothing like that insanity.
Comparing ALL of Florida to Cape Hatteras is a bit disingenuous.

Comparing ALL of Florida to Cape Hatteras is a bit disingenuous.
Right, insurance is relatively cheap where I live, in comparison to say, Melbourne on the east coast. Hatteras is more expensive yet because you need wind coverage as well. My bill for insurance there was triple what I pay for taxes + insurance in Florida.

I have dove several areas in south Florida. As my kids get closer to graduation I am thinking of moving south.

I am not sure where the best area is to actually live. I want to spend more time in FL over the next 5 years diving different areas and maybe look for a house to buy and rent it out till I am ready to move down full time.

My wish list:

- Access to good diving
- Access to a good airport
- Cost of living (housing) not too crazy - I live in NY so anything is an improvement
- People not too crazy LOL

Any thoughts from locals who know the areas would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Posted in the Florida forum because it seems best option in the USA. I will also spend a few months a year in Thailand with my in-laws where the cost of living is much better. But want a "Home base" in the USA
Try Cayman, Oh wait you said cost of housing not too Crazy. Nevermind 🤣😂

I have dove several areas in south Florida. As my kids get closer to graduation I am thinking of moving south.

I am not sure where the best area is to actually live. I want to spend more time in FL over the next 5 years diving different areas and maybe look for a house to buy and rent it out till I am ready to move down full time.

My wish list:

- Access to good diving
- Access to a good airport
- Cost of living (housing) not too crazy - I live in NY so anything is an improvement
- People not too crazy LOL

Any thoughts from locals who know the areas would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Posted in the Florida forum because it seems best option in the USA. I will also spend a few months a year in Thailand with my in-laws where the cost of living is much better. But want a "Home base" in the USA

South Florida has 2 out of your list of 4 requirements. But cost of living, and insurance, has gone through the roof and have you ever heard the phrase "Florida Man"? There's a reason...

South Florida has 2 out of your list of 4 requirements. But cost of living, and insurance, has gone through the roof and have you ever heard the phrase "Florida Man"? There's a reason...

Most of the "Florida men" are actually from Ohio and Michigan.

Most of the "Florida men" are actually from Ohio and Michigan.
But they're here now.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom