Recommendations for diving in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karinzahorik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My 18 year old nephew wants to get certified, and on a separate post about this, many people suggested Florida. I'm looking for recommendations for where to get certified, where to dive, (good dive shops) and what area to stay in and places to stay - any and/or all of that! I've never been to Florida, so am not sure of logistics. Are there dive resorts there, or am I on my own, driving around to the best spots? Someone had suggested Blue Heron Bridge, but I've heard it gets very crowded and therefore very silty. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

My experience is that it may not be the best place for a beginner. My experience was that the reefs are miles offshore and waves can be a problem. Choppy and coming from all directions. I also experienced unexpected current on the bottom. I'm experienced, but the conditions were too much for me. Were it me I'd look for a local shop or take him to someplace benign like Bonaire.

In the Florida Keys, I dive with Rainbow Reef. You can book the training, diving and hotel through them. They know where it’s safest for students, and your nephew will have a blast. I’m sure they can address any concerns you have.

In your other thread you mentioned Christmas break
Florida sea conditions are more variable and water cooler in the winter, both the Keys and SE FL.

Yes, BHB is silty, don't go there /sarcasm :)

In all seriousness, there are so many dive shops in SE FL to get certified with. In the WPB area, they typically include a day in a pool, a day at BHB, and a day on a boat.

Ok from a South Florida diver here is my 2psi. I read through both threads and saw mention of Christmas time trip. Winter down here is a crap shoot for conditions offshore. I have seen days I wouldn't dare go out on a boat. Most winter time days usually have some wave action and my limit for going out is about 3 ft seas, not because of sea sickness but because it's a lot of work and wears me out to be on a boat in rough seas. On the other hand I went Thanksgiving weekend last year and the surface conditions were as good as I have ever seen them you just never know. As far as getting certified Force-E has a large "stable" of very good instructors they take good care of their students. Full disclosure I do not work for them nor have I taken classes from them I have just seen them in action on the dive boats I frequent . They have shops from Ft. Lauderdale to Riviera Beach. Also in my opinion the reefs from Jupiter to Ft. Lauderdale are the best you can get to without a passport. So go with what you think is best for you situation but hey we'd be glad to see you here.

I think Key Largo has the best shallow diving: lots of coral and fish and little current. I believe the open water cert classroom work can be done online. It is often good to get the pool work done locally. That way, you can do the check out dives at a dive shop in the Keys or where ever you want to go.

Don't forget the springs in Northern Florida: Blue Grotto, Ginnie, Rainbow River, etc. On the plus side you won't get blown out by choppy seas, the water is a constant 70-72 degrees all year round, it's fresh water so your equipment will thank you. The depths are within the OW range of 60 feet or less at most facilities, really a rather nice way to dive FL.

I think there is nothing wrong getting certified in Florida. It will be fine and fun. In summer the ocean is smooth like a lake, but with currents 🙂
My first pick would be through Getaqui in LBTS. Not cheap but you will get your money’s worth by quality of training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom