Dive recommendations for Florida in late January, early February.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Msr1015

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations on where to dive in Florida around late Jan-early Feb? Are the keys still good to dive? How’s the bleaching? Does Jupiter have anything? Any and all recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Anyone have any recommendations on where to dive in Florida around late Jan-early Feb? Are the keys still good to dive? How’s the bleaching? Does Jupiter have anything? Any and all recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
I've only dived the Palm Beach County ops during that time of year, but the diving is great as long as you can get out. Sometimes it's too rough in the inlets for dive boats to get through.

Water temps should be mid to upper '70s. Air temps can be all over the place. A couple of the coldest surface intervals I've ever had were during a January cold snap there. I simply didn't have the clothes to deal with temps in the low '40s. One of those ponchos or boat coats from @MAKO Spearguns would be a great idea.

Does Jupiter have anything?
IIRC from other's reports, that's in the time frame for the lemon shark aggregation. If you'd like to dive and see fairly large, traditional 'scary looking' but low risk (long as you behave wisely and do nothing reckless) sharks without having them baited in and fed, this might be your chance.

Hi @Msr1015

Late Jan-early Feb is the start of Lemon Shark aggregation in Jupiter. It can be a really fun/exciting dive. I go out with Jupiter Dive Center, no feeding. On their calendar they label their Lemon Shark dives, these are at the site, Lemon Drop

Your profile notes that you are from Minnesota.

Cozumel is a much better option than anything in Florida, and the total cost will be less than going to Florida. What are the advantages of Cozumel over Florida?

-The people are considerably nicer
-The scenery is much nicer
-The diving is better and cheaper
-Lodging is cheaper
-The food is better and cheaper
-The weather is better and much warmer
-The water is warmer

It's not too late to change your itinerary.
Jan-Feb is prime time of the year for Cozumel.
80 degree water
200+ foot visibility

If you insist on Florida..... I used to dive all over Florida. Cave diving in the north, WPM and the Keys in the south.

January in the Keys can be cold, rainy, and windy. Occasionally I dove in my drysuit, and everyone laughed at me until they came up from the first dive shivering and they skipped the second dive. Bring a boat coat or something else very warm for the surface interval. The water in the Keys is always rough at that time of year, I always got seasick in the Keys, never anywhere else. And I was in the Navy for 10 years, went all the way around the world on a surface combatant.

Your profile notes that you are from Minnesota.

Cozumel is a much better option than anything in Florida, and the total cost will be less than going to Florida. What are the advantages of Cozumel over Florida?

-The people are considerably nicer
-The scenery is much nicer
-The diving is better and cheaper
-Lodging is cheaper
-The food is better and cheaper
-The weather is better and much warmer
-The water is warmer

It's not too late to change your itinerary.
Jan-Feb is prime time of the year for Cozumel.
80 degree water
200+ foot visibility

If you insist on Florida..... I used to dive all over Florida. Cave diving in the north, WPM and the Keys in the south.

January in the Keys can be cold, rainy, and windy. Occasionally I dove in my drysuit, and everyone laughed at me until they came up from the first dive shivering and they skipped the second dive. Bring a boat coat or something else very warm for the surface interval. The water in the Keys is always rough at that time of year, I always got seasick in the Keys, never anywhere else. And I was in the Navy for 10 years, went all the way around the world on a surface combatant.
I went to Cozumel last winter and wanted to change it up. Cozumel was fun but it’s such a pain in the butt to get to.

The manatees will be in Crystal River! Not a dive, but still an awesome time. Check out Bird's Underwater for a truly unique Florida experience. Devil's Den and other springs are nearby as well.

1703463994861.png

I did some early feb dives in North Palm Beach. It was wonderful. Gulf Stream was close that year so water was warm. All drift dives with lots of big stuff. I stopped counting reef sharks on one dive at around 13. Big sea turtles too. Some of my favorite dives ever.

Can't forget shark tooth and wreck dives on gulf coast/panhandle

Venice for the teeth is always fun. Pretty cheap too.

Back
Top Bottom