Best place to live as a retired diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll third (fourth?) The Boynton/Delray area. Somewhat less expensive and downright cheap compared with NY. Good range of reef, big stuff, and wrecks within a 30 min drive. Nowhere has better access to the Caribbean than south FL.

I moved here from NY a few years ago and I think the cost of insurance is a bit overblown. Yes it's higher than other places but I save far, far more on taxes alone. This of course may matter less for someone who's retired depending on the structure of retirement income. Traffic stinks but tolerable if you avoid Miami. FL has its negatives but diving year round in a 3mm and never dealing with winter outweighs all of them.

My house is 25 yards from the Santa Fe river, above the 100-year flood plain so we have never been flooded out. The house directly across the river from me has been flooded to the rafters two times due to TS Debbie & Hurricane Irma.

Next door house flooded 2-3 feet high inside due to Hurricane Irma.

I fly to dive in salt now. That's OK as it makes the trip more special.

We spent a few years taking vacations to potential retirement spots, that have a decent(warm) climate and some diving.
Costa Rica has some good diving, Cano Island was stunning for divers, Caribbean side, not so much. Didn't feel particularly safe there, everyone was living with bars on the windows, razor wire, etc.
Mexico, we went to Playa Del Carmen, diving was ok, but didn't want to live in a fortified compound there either.
Barbados, great dives, warm, clear waters, relatively safe, but little else to do but dive(good for me, not for non-diver spouse).
Last year, we took a trip to Cyprus, fell in love with the place and the people. Great climate, 320 days average of sunshine, reasonable cost of living, part of Europe(wife is Dutch, I'm British). We bought a 3 bedroom villa, for a fraction of what houses cost in Canada, 20 mins from the Mediterranean and will retire there in March. Some great dives there, water never gets below 16c, up to 27c in summer. 5th safest country overall, English widely spoken, affordable healthcare, close to Red Sea (1 hour flight) for more diving.

My wish list:

- Access to good diving
- Access to a good airport
- Cost of living (housing) not too crazy - I live in NY so anything is an improvement
- People not too crazy LOL

SE FL = good diving (a definition of it...).
PBI, FLL and MIA - what else would you wish for.
Housing part is becoming a bit trickier recently - it depends whether you are a condo or SFH kinda guy.
People got crazier everywhere, especially in the last 3 years or so. FL is no exception.

Coming from NY (I'm in Chicago, somewhat similar story) I would pick a general Delray Beach or Boynton Beach area - nice restaurants, good wibes, good diving. SFH, TH or condo - your call to make. I would recommend renting for a year - you'll know better afterwards.

Lived in FL all my life. Been diving since 1986. I quit going to the Keys around 2003, reefs there are trashed. Charters are expensive and full of lunatic carpet baggers. South Florida traffic is horrendous. FL inflation is one of the highest in the country. And good luck getting home owner's insurance.

Other than that, it's paradise.
Hahahaha. Trying to keep others out?

I have found a few good sections of the reef in Key Largo. I vote for the Caymans.

Hahahaha. Trying to keep others out?

I have found a few good sections of the reef in Key Largo. I vote for the Caymans.

Reminds me of my childhood when we used to do full moon keys night dives to watch coral spawning. Now we can only see it in an aquarium.....

We moved to Jax three years ago from Philly, don’t plan on ever shoveling snow again. Ended up here due to grandson and my wife found the ideal house for us, on the water with a pool and other amenities. Flood insurance is $578 yearly as we are above the flood plain. Total housing cost & car insurance is less then what we paid in property taxes in Philly and zero income tax.

Freshwater spring diving is 90 minutes, I like Deerfield Beach charters which is a 5 or so hour drive, or a cheap flight. Overall it is manageable

Anyone wanna take a guess at the insurance on a.. say 400k home around Gainesville? ball park figure

Anyone wanna take a guess at the insurance on a.. say 400k home around Gainesville? ball park figure
Which Gainesville? Florida, Georgia or Texas?

😋

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom