Best place to stay for likelihood of Sipadan permits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm confused. You have been on Mabul for 8 days and you haven't gotten a permit to go to Sipadan? That doesn't make sense to me. All operators can guaranty a certain number of days per week, no?

Permits get booked out months ahead, especially at busy times. There are cancellation lists but obviously those rely on (i) people cancelling and (ii) getting to the top of that list.

Very few guarantee permits with xxxx days diving and those that do work that way book out way in advance. Last week was quieter and some people got permits in a day or 2. This week busier and im not aware of anyone managing it.

Hey String,

That's unfortunate that you were unable to get a permit during your 8 days stay. Did you stay with 1 resort/lodge or did you go around? Long stay would give you at least 1. If you move about then no, you will not be on the list. SMART/Mabul guarantee 1 permit on 5 nights stay. Seaventures Dive Rig guarantee 1 permit for 3 nights stay and 2 on 5 nights.

Permits get booked out months ahead, especially at busy times. There are cancellation lists but obviously those rely on (i) people cancelling and (ii) getting to the top of that list.

Very few guarantee permits with xxxx days diving and those that do work that way book out way in advance. Last week was quieter and some people got permits in a day or 2. This week busier and im not aware of anyone managing it.

Hey String,

That's unfortunate that you were unable to get a permit during your 8 days stay. Did you stay with 1 resort/lodge or did you go around? Long stay would give you at least 1. If you move about then no, you will not be on the list. SMART/Mabul guarantee 1 permit on 5 nights stay. Seaventures Dive Rig guarantee 1 permit for 3 nights stay and 2 on 5 nights.

Did you contact them regarding the 2 day permit guarantee for 5 night stay? I could only find the 1 day guarantee for 3 nights stay on their website.

I could be wrong but I think the issue was that he just showed up at the resort without reserving a spot in advance. It's a risky strategy that could provide a good discount but also, possibly, a major disappointment.

Hey String,

Did you contact them regarding the 2 day permit guarantee for 5 night stay? I could only find the 1 day guarantee for 3 nights stay on their website.

Each eligible guest must purchase a minimum of 3 consecutive nights non-dorm room diving package OR a minimum of 4 consecutive nights dorm room diving package to be eligible for a one day Sipadan Permit guarantee with Seaventures.

Email Seaventures to get more details. 5 nights stay would get 2 days of Sipadan. Advance booking required however the rig would advise in advance if the dates are not "good" for 2 days of Sipadan permit.

Hope that helps.

There are several factors to consider regarding the Sipadan permits.

Also the limit per day is 120 divided between various dive resorts, the common policy between the dive resorts is not to guarantee a permit for short stays.

This doesn't mean that there are no permits available. This means that the resorts don't want to be responsible if all the permits are used on a given day.

During peak season (July/August/Other holidays), it is strongly advised to get the guarantee.

Outside of peak season, a stay of 3 nights will give a high chance to dive Sipadan

In general Seaventures has a higher number Permits to number of rooms ratio and they guarantee a permit for a stay of 4D/3N.

Sipadan Mabul Resort and Mabul Water Bungalows also have many permits and if not, can arrange with other dive operators, increasing the chance.

Mataking can guarantee 1 or more days at Sipadan if booked in advance (also they offer 'only' 2 dives per day at Sipadan).

Only just got this, stayed at Scuba Junkie for 8 days but no permit. Given work etc i can only really book with 1-2 days advance notice which is the problem. Seaventures had no space left and none of the others had cancellations (i did walk around a few times whilst there and ask).

Ive pretty much given up now. Thats into my second year of trying and failing and im not sure 1 day at a dive site is worth persevering for literally years on end. The rest of the diving there i thought was "ok" but not earth shattering but then again i'm not a massive fan of macro.

Hi String

Sorry that you have had this disappointment. I fully agree with the aboveove advice , you may well not get a permit if you don't book well in advance. Hope you get to Sipadan one day soon....when you do get there you will see that despite the shortcomings of the permit system it has had its desired results as the island feels very uncrowded as a result of these limits.

Best fishes x

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom