best prices/centres for diving in sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okay maybe not "most of the staff" just one or 2, on 2nd thoughts they are actually quite friendly and fun in general ,i think im just miffed at the no training for air 28 thing more than anything,i dived and trained with an egyptian run centre on my first trip and i wasnt impressed with my instructors attitude at all so i guess the nose in the air thing is found in many places,so not fair to say that about those guys with the air 28

Actually it is correct - my dive centre charges 230 Euros for a 10 dive package if you book online, but this does not include equipment rental, national park entry fees (5 euros per day to Ras Mohamed), or food on the boats, although it does include 5 free house reef dives.

You're not going to get it much cheaper in Sharm, to be fair and if you do, then it is going to be cheap all round. Camel is a long established operation and I am not doing to dis them - I work for the competition but I have freelanced for them and I know some of the crew there. I also work for a german centre and they do actually have a sense of humour!! :D

We don't let people dive anything other than air without training - and nitrox is free if you're certified!

Ooops I almost started selling there!! :D

Am always happy to talk details in private, but as for costs, the big boys are all in the same sort of pricing arena; anything less will really mean exactly that. Less.

Cheers

C.

Don't mean to jack the threat Op but it's a good topic I'm interested in too. I'm traveling to Dahab this June, never been there before and thinking of booking with Coral Coast Hotel at Fantasea diving. But if their full up I'll have to look else where. What dive shops do all of you suggest are good and which ones to stay away from? I'm AOW and just finished the online PADI Nitrox course so I'll want to finish that up in Dahab. what do you all suggest?

Rob

I suggest you talk to Red Sea Shadow via PM as he is an instructor and can work something out for you...

PM me if you need help with a hotel or dive package.

I travel to Sharm to dive several times each year. I have found the larger dive operations completely inflexible on price. I use one of the smaller operations who charge 150 euros for a 10 tank package (5 days boat diving). (Camel, Emperor, Sinai, Red Sea etc have always refused to price match)
Also watch out for the less obvious extra's that some operations craftily add on in Sharm. i.e 5 Euros for each nitrox tank, 20 Euro's for an early start, 10% sales tax added to your final dive bill. Another complete con to watch out for, is some operations insist you pay 35 Euros for a check dive (this is not a scuba review), despite you having your cert cards they add this charge onto your first day.
I would add that I think Subex 28 is a good idea for non nitrox certed divers.

The big operators (I work for one) are inflexible in price in sharm because the overheads in Na'ama bay are not small. We will therefore not price match with the cheaper operations.

Nitrox is free at my centre. If you're not certified you don't dive nitrox. Sales tax is mandatory. Check dives are 10 Euros, not 35. I'd like to point out that this is paying for the instructor's time; we'd all love to work for free, of course, and they are not mandatory if you have recent experience in the red sea. I'd like to apologise profusely for looking out for everybody's safety but there you go.

Dahab is MUCH cheaper than sharm, because it is not such a huge tourist resort (and long may that last). I love it there, it is a super chilled out place, but the diving is just not as good as it can be in Sharm.

Cheers

C.

Dahab is MUCH cheaper than sharm, because it is not such a huge tourist resort (and long may that last). I love it there, it is a super chilled out place, but the diving is just not as good as it can be in Sharm.
Much cheaper for the guest or for the operators?

And the diving part is subjective BTW :)

yes - check dive is 10E extra to the package. Not all divers require them.

Dahab is cheaper for both the guests and the operators - you should know that Shadow!! For those that aren't here - check out operator prices between locations.

The diving is of course subjective - Dahab is not as busy as Sharm, of course, and that appeals to people, but for the sheer spectacle of the reefs, I (and my colleagues) think Sharm is better.

On the other hand, I would MUCH rather hang out in Dahab than Sharm! :D

C.

Dahab is cheaper for operators, agree. And for guests willing to dive for a couple of days, yes. But for 5-day packages or more, the price is virtually the same.

As you said before, Dahab is way smaller than Sharm. It is estimated that Dahab's capacity (in hotel beds) is 0.01 (1/100) of Sharm's. Dive operators in Dahab are around 60, while in Sharm they're only around 120.

In other words, Sharm is operating on masses, while Dahab is operating on individual service. The average operator in Dahab will have 20 guest in high season, and zero in low season. That's why wise operators can't play on prices.

Accommodation-wise, Dahab is cheaper if you choose camp-like stuff. Comparable accommodation to that of Sharm (Hilton, Meridien, etc...) is not cheaper. Actually 3* hotels in Dahab (and some 2* hotels) are more expensive than those of Sharm. And that's direct booking prices. Talk about all-inclusive and "lots" packages and you'll find Sharm way cheaper than Dahab.

However, one thing I like more in Sharm is that operators seem to be more cooperative with each other. In Dahab people are living in separate islands.

Back
Top Bottom