Best reg for a newbie on a tight budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keep in mind that most dive shops will reccomend the most expensive they can. There are some that don´t, and I say thanks to them!

I say seriously consider the Oceanic GT3 non-dvt. A GT3, slimline octo, and 3 gauge console comes in at a tidy 470$ at our LDS, so it's very reasonable. The GT3's are solid regs, easy to breathe from at all recreational depths and upside down. We bought 2 sets for backups and have ended up using them often because they are nice.

Well, there are several options. First, if she goes with a cheaper reg there will not be any possible flow adjustments. Dive shops flogging of their rental gear at the end of the year is a good idea. Personally, I don´t like the packadge deals because I find that they are never exactly what I want. If you want a reg that has an outstanding warranty record, I would go for the lower class ScubaPro 1st and 2nd stages. You can also save a lot of money by buying the octo regs rather than a reg that isn´t classified as an octo. I found that SP would charge at least another 100 when I went to buy a MK25 and S600, along with a G250V.

Just me two euros...

Actually the genesis gs2000 for about 250, has the same second stage as the oceanic gt3 and delta 4. It has a balance piston first stage. And it is environmentally sealed. So the key here is shop around and check out the different brands. There are alot of choices out there on good reg for the budget minded. This is just one example of a good adjustable reg in the 200-250 range. The gt3 is a excellent reg also, just a bit more money.

Yes, definitely. Online you will get a hundred different opinions, but your best option is to go and research things for yourself

A simple example of a good warm water reg setup on a budget. My with has a genesis gs2000, $239, and cressi xs octo, $59. total 298, add a 139 for a genesis spg with compass. $437 for a compete reg set. We added a VT3 wireless later. My warm water reg setup, cressi ellipse titanium, 249, cressi xs octo, 59, add a decor spg with compass 129, total 428, added an aeris elite t3 later. There are lots of options out there.

can i respond here? i have never taken a breath underwater, but if i did. I would feel better knowing my air was coming from a source beyond my abilities. (if this is good, more is better) I want to dive and my biggest complaint (biggest obstacle) is cost. I can only afford "entry level" equipment but i don't want to reach the limits (or even come close). I prefer the point be way out of reach but if i needed to i could get closer without risking failure. I don't think drbill was trying to imply cheap means risk. look at the reg like a diamond ring, the more you spend on the reg the less you have to spend on dinner.

can i respond here? i have never taken a breath underwater, but if i did. I would feel better knowing my air was coming from a source beyond my abilities. (if this is good, more is better) I want to dive and my biggest complaint (biggest obstacle) is cost. I can only afford "entry level" equipment but i don't want to reach the limits (or even come close). I prefer the point be way out of reach but if i needed to i could get closer without risking failure. I don't think drbill was trying to imply cheap means risk. look at the reg like a diamond ring, the more you spend on the reg the less you have to spend on dinner.

Welcome to the Board,

Cost is a concern with some divers, for most of us it is a hobby. Some of us have many different hobbies, and need to divi up the money between them. And other have bigger families and have more expenses. So there are some good regs at a reasonable price. To say that they will fail and put you at risk is pushing it. If you dive cold water, the oceanic GT3 is a good solid reg that will serve you well, you do not really need a mares proton ice extreme or oceanic delta 4. The navy and uscg dives these reg in Alaska in the bearing sea, 20-29 degree water. Will the average cold water diver idive n these conditions? Not really.

It's like getting a volkswagen vs a porsche. The VW will do the same job as the porsche, getting you from one place to another. Some can afford the porche, while most can not. The porche is cooler and faster, but does it make the more dependable. Each one of us has to choose what we can afford, but we really do not have to sacrifice on dependability. That is why the manufactures have less expensive expensive equipment, and are very dependable.

The dive shops are going to love you.....inexperienced but already convinced that spending more money means safer diving. Sorry, it does not work that way. When you buy an expensive reg, you pay for higher performance, (supposedly, that's another story) nifty features, status, but not safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom