Best scuba gear for photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM:
You're gonna get as many opinions as people, but I would buy exactly what I have......Seaquest XR2 regs (if they made tham anymore, they don't APeks are similar), no bubble interference. Backplate and wings, very stable in all positions and easy to hold buoyancy for those hard to get shots. Minimal "Stuff" in front to get in the way of the camera. Jetfins for micro propulsion and adjustments as well as power when needed. SP frameless black skirt mask

Chris
I bought my wife an XR2 and it is the worst piece of dive gear I have ever bought. She hates it. It honks horribly. Underwater, I can always find her by the wierd noise it makes. Seaquest says that is the nature of the beast. Want to buy one?

Chip

Less is best, and Neutral colors(Black, Blue, Grey ) is good. Most important if you are using SLR camera where you have to peek through a viewfinder is a mask with a black or grey skirt.

For macro work you need to get REAL close and you do not want your gear damaging to reef. I use the following set-up, A basic Harness Dive Rite or Scuba Pro S-tec and the smallest air cell available ( Dive Rite "travel" model ). My computers are on my wrist, and I only have a single PSI gauge connected to the REG. I dive Solo so My pony bottle is connected to my main tank so it will not crunch the coral as I get in low for the shot. A small knife that attaches to the BCD or a hose is what I use, although when diving on Guam I often don't take one.

There is a shot of me in this rig in my gallery.

chipb:
I bought my wife an XR2 and it is the worst piece of dive gear I have ever bought. She hates it. It honks horribly. Underwater, I can always find her by the wierd noise it makes. Seaquest says that is the nature of the beast. Want to buy one?

Chip

Mine did that one time after having it serviced. It was the vibrations from an internal spring of some sort...that's the technical explanation. I had it rebuilt again and that fixed it.

Back
Top Bottom