Best scuba gear for photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM:
Alcina mentions computers. I like mine on my wrist, and compass on the other, for easy reference when taking pics, just glance down.

should have made that clear...mine is a wrist mount, too. Has a lovely big display area so you don't have to really take your eyes off what you are trying to photograph too long!

As for heated discussions...scuba gear, solo diving and DIR are three excellent places to look :wink: LOL

alcina:
should have made that clear...mine is a wrist mount, too. Has a lovely big display area so you don't have to really take your eyes off what you are trying to photograph too long!

As for heated discussions...scuba gear, solo diving and DIR are three excellent places to look :wink: LOL

I looked back and noticed you mentioned air integrated, so that's what I figured, meant to point that out, but forgot :crafty:

BTW, THorpe just swam a primo race, just not primo enough

Chris

ChrisM:
BTW, THorpe just swam a primo race, just not primo enough

Chris

I haven't been watching. I am still not sure how I feel about him being there for that race...some days I think it's OK, and other days I think maybe not so much. But as it ain't a cure for cancer either way I have decided not to spend much time on it :wink:

I agree about streamlining. I use an air intergrated Oceanic Data Max Pro Plus computer that's clipped off to my right D-ring across my chest. I keep it tilted so all I have to do is glance down at it. My second stage is on a 4ft hose with a 90º connection, routed under my right arm. My octo is integrated on my inflator. No hoses sticking out to snag on anything. And no danglies anywhere!

There are as many configurations of gear as there are brands and divers. The type of diving you do and the locations you dive have alot to do with what configurations suit you. And to what your choices of camera gear will be. You just have to keep trying things until you find what works best for you. There's no wrong or right, just what works for you.

Here is what I use and recommend for photo, as well as any conditions:

Custom BC w/6 stainless D-rings (2 position on shoulder for clipping off the camera). 65lb lift capacity so I have plenty of lift for any situation, even if I do have my cameras with me during an emergency. Custom fit and custom colors. Quick release weight pockets, trim weights (for optimal body position when swimming around), and dual tankbands.

Atomic regulators: extremely reliable, most only needed servicing every 2 years, wide exhaust, comfort swivel on the second stage, automatic flow control. I have tried many regs and I always stick with Atomic.

Hoseless air-integrated computer. NO more fumbling for your guages, just look at your wrist and you have all vital info.

Atomic SS1 inflater integrated octo-one less hose, always there in an emergency, and breathes much better than many octos.

This set up works excellent for me and many of my dive buddies. Email me if you have any Q's.

Dave:

My gear selection is pretty utilitarian, which is to say I chose each item for a particular benefit. Also, I shoot predominately with large, housed camera and dual strobe systems with an emphasis on wide angle.

I use a jacket BC for photography. For me, this has provided me with excellent stability; by this, I mean that if I place my body in a particular position, it holds me there. Roll on my back to shoot a silhouette against a sunburst, it holds me there. Roll on my side, stand on my head...it holds me there.

By the way, I do own and use BP/wings often, and love them; just not for photography. For me, they do not provide the stability-in-any-axis that my jacket does. Regardless if the type of BC, though, it has to fit right. That means the jacket has to be the right size so it doesn’t ride up under your armpits, or the BP/wings don’t have lots of shoulder slop.

I'm sure you are looking at brands, so, my jacket is a SeaQuest ADVi. Out of production, sorry. If I were to replace it, it would be a Pro QD+. I should mention that I still wear a weight belt; using the integrated weights has caused me a slight facedown trim preference.

Whew! Luckily, most other gear is non-controversial. Just about any brand of regulator would work that has little bubble interference in the face area; Alcina's Omega 2 is great; I use an Atomic B2 with the extra-wide M1 exhaust tee. About the only one I would avoid is Sherwood; their air-bleed 1st stage means you will always have bubbles above your head. I'm wishing Santa could find me a new-production double hose...

I have avoided AI computers, mostly from a few reports from others that high-powered strobes (like the Ike 400) have caused loss of AI communication for a minute or two. This may have changed, though.

I'd be using ScubaPro Jet fins if I still didn't have a set of Mares Power Plana Graphites. The basic idea of both is the same; a short, stiff blade that allows tiny control motions.

Dee's right on with the black mask. It's what I wear with digital cameras because of the tiny squinty viewfinder. With film cameras I just wear my regular mask because of the Sportsfinder.

Still, in all, the dive gear is a support system that has to be tailored for the environment. For example, if I was photographing sea otters, I'd probably be wearing my freediving long blade fins, no BC, no regulator, a wetsuit and a light weight belt.

They're just tools. Pick the right tool for the job. My gear is a reflection of my preferences for photography, and yours are sure to differ.

All the best, James

This could get interesting. I agree with everyone here on the aspects of being comfortable, in-control (bouyancy and movement) and being streamlined. Ideally, the equipment should minimize any additional task loading so that the diver can focus on photography. I use a 10yr old Zeagle (not sure if they still make it), with Apeks regs. The winged-Zeagle has 10 D-rings so you should be able to latch equipment into comfortable positions. They also have a integrated weight system so I have one less item to put on. I have both the Scubapro Jetfins (man, they have been around for a LONG time) and a pair of Mares Avanti Quattros. I tend to use the Quattros though. I don't lose much control and they are easier when finning against current. My guage is latched across my chest so that I do not have to use my hands to check my air. The computer sits on my right arm so I can see it when I am holding the camera.

The setup suit me as all I have to worry about underwater is the bouyancy (inflator) and the camera. Everything else is within sight without having to grab for it.

It would seem that the most important elements would be:
1. A bcd or back pack wing combination that's easy to adjust and can hold you in any position (can a backpack/wing do that?)
2. Weights close to the body that again aid in holding position.
3. Fins that aid minor position changes.
4. Minimum bubble regulator.
5. Instuments that are out of the way, tangle free, yet easily observed.
6. Pockets. no one's mentioned them. But on land photographers love vests with lots of pockets. Maybe all this stuff needs to stay on the boat in a bag??
7. Black skirted mask (my Ebon should arrive today :)

Have I read somewhere someone saying she liked ankle weights for photography??? I saw some uw show on TV recently where the videographer was strolling around the bottom with no fins and what looked like weighted shoes.

It would seem the photographers gear needs to emphasize stability over swimming speed, right???

Big Sky Dave:
It would seem that the most important elements would be:
1. A bcd or back pack wing combination that's easy to adjust and can hold you in any position (can a backpack/wing do that?)
Fit is more important than design, yet some designs lend themselve to better fit. If you have a standard size body, off-the-rack clothes fit you very well, then a jacket-type BC can fot you very well. However if you have areas of your body that are out of proportion, ie. large shoulder/chest, large waist and smaller shoulders, etc. a BP/Wing can be adjusted to give you a perfect fit. Most, not all, jacket BC's can't be adjusted in this way. The Zeagle Ranger and Concept models are an exception. For instance, if you have a larger waist, you'll have to buy a jacket with a large enough cumberbun to fit your waist. This will make the shoulders too big which results in the BC floating up around your ears on the surface. (Personally, I think all jacket BC's need to come with a crotch strap to keep it in place.) Or you buy one to fit your shoulders and have to buy an extension for the waist. Neither of which is going to be as good as a custom fit.

Yes, a BP/Wing will hold you in any position and attitude in the water if it's properly fitted to you. It take some trial and error to get a perfect fit but those few adjustment dives are well worth it!

2. Weights close to the body that again aid in holding position.
Yes. You also need to be properly trimmed out. Not all body types will be properly trimmed with all your weights on your waist or in WI pockets. It also depends on the kind of tank you use. For instance, I need 4# of weight in fresh water. If I put 2# in each weight pocket, my butt starts floating when an alum tank gets about half full. To trim that, I attach a 2# weight to the bottom of my tank with 1# in each pocket. I can now hold any position...horizontal, vertical and anything in between.

3. Fins that aid minor position changes.
True. This also has alot to do with personal preference. Chris noted he loves his Jet fins for their maneuverbility. For me, Jet fins are too heavy and clunky and my bad knees can't take the strain. I use two different brands of split fins, depending on conditions and purpose. I can get into and hold any position with them and my knees are happy! the secret to any style fin is to learn to use them properly and know where your fin tips are AT ALL TIMES.

4. Minimum bubble regulator.
Not minimum bubbles...you need the air! Just make sure the 2nd stage has a wide exhaust port/shield that directs your exhaust bubbles to the sides of your face.

5. Instuments that are out of the way, tangle free, yet easily observed.
Bingo! Get someone to take a picture of you in the water. Standing in your living room won't give you a true guide. Do you see any hoses sticking out, does anything hang lower than your body? Just because everything is clipped off doesn't mean it doesn't dangle.

6. Pockets. no one's mentioned them. But on land photographers love vests with lots of pockets. Maybe all this stuff needs to stay on the boat in a bag??
I use a very small pocket to hold a small slate and defog. A small light stays clipped and strapped to my right arm webbing, sort of under my arm. A SMB/lift bag is bungied to my BP and a small spool clips to my waist. For photography I use a Digital Lens Dock on my camera rig to hold my WA lens. I don't need big pockets and no need to carry anything else for normal diving.

7. Black skirted mask (my Ebon should arrive today :)
Yeah!

Have I read somewhere someone saying she liked ankle weights for photography??? I saw some uw show on TV recently where the videographer was strolling around the bottom with no fins and what looked like weighted shoes.
Some people have problems with their feet and legs being more bouyant than the rest of their bodies. Tanks positioning helps but it doesn't eliminate the problem. A lightweight pair of ankle weights will make your feet neutral. If the ankle weights are too heavy, you now have the opposite problem of keeping them elevated. You'll also burn more air with the extra effort of carrying the extra weight. I wore ankle weights for several years, I adjusted mine to about 10oz. instead of the 2# each. Those few ounces was all it took and I was never aware they were even there.

Drysuit divers frequently use ankle weights.

It would seem the photographers gear needs to emphasize stability over swimming speed, right???
Yes! It's no race down there! The faster you go the more you miss.

Dee:
Yes! It's no race down there! The faster you go the more you miss.

Handy hint: however slow you are going, halve it again - you'll be amazed at what you have been missing :) Been there, done that - and I know better!!

Back
Top Bottom