Best "Street" Tacos???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am headed to Cozumel next week and would like to know where to get the best "Street" tacos. By this I mean authentic tacos like the street vendors in the Baja area sell. They dont have to be from a street vendor but those are the type I am looking for. A friend told me about a place called "el Pique". Is this a good place or are there better? Thanks.

About the only place on Cozumel that I've found that has tacos like the Carne Asada tacos in Baja is Otate's (on avenida 15 between calle 5 and calle 3). Ask for Arrachera tacos with onions and cilantro. I also usually get a side of normal guacamole (I'm not the world's biggest fan of that creamy green stuff they pass-off as guacamole) to slap on the tacos as well. After that you just toss on some red salsa, and BAM! A sort-of Baja taco.

I hate to say it, but outside of Baja (which I still believe has the best Mexican food), the food get's progressively worse as you head east or south (since I was born and raised in San Diego, if I want a decent taco here in El Paso I go to Taco Bell, Chihuahua style food is the worst).

El Pique has very nice tacos, including arrachera. So does los Otates. I say check them both out. My favorite depends on which one I'm at at the moment. Some people swear by las Seras. I'm a bigger fan of tacos al pastor than arrachera, anyway.

If you make it off the island south of Playa (say, if you're heading to cenotes) DO NOT pass up Taqueria el Arbolito on the west side of the highway at the entrance to Puerto Aventuras. They'll have about 16 large ceramic cazuelas of assorted goodness and someone making tortillas by hand (no press or rollers) on the comal. Literally right across the highway is Taco Paco, which has superb fried fish and shrimp tacos. I haven't really found anything like either on the island.

Remember the fish tacos at Dzul Ha before Wilma? Where can you get fish tacos like that now?

I like El Pique for its comfortable patio (at the rear of the restaurant -- a lot of people never know it's there!), friendly staff, and the huge gringa Pique, which is roast pork. The shell is more like a thin crust pizza than a taco but they have plenty of regular tacos on the menu -- see the board on the wall. Located on Ave. 30 bet. Juarez & Calle 2 across from the San Francisco. Opens around 7:30.

The others recommended here are great, too. For the adventurous, there's Chilango's for huraches -- nearer Los Seras on Ave. 30. So many restaurants, so little time...

If you make it off the island south of Playa (say, if you're heading to cenotes) DO NOT pass up Taqueria el Arbolito on the west side of the highway at the entrance to Puerto Aventuras. They'll have about 16 large ceramic cazuelas of assorted goodness and someone making tortillas by hand (no press or rollers) on the comal. Literally right across the highway is Taco Paco, which has superb fried fish and shrimp tacos. I haven't really found anything like either on the island.

YES YES YES! El Arbolito is the best highway food ever! Cavewoman is drooling now..... last time I stopped there I had some Pork Milanesa topped with some sort of creamed poblanos...

The other (again, on the mainland, sorry!) don't miss is late night fried fish tacos with pickled onion at Sr. Tacombi - the converted VW combi van beside Santanera on 12th street, across from Pizza Pazza. mmmmmmmmmmmm

Try the fish taco guy in the blue Chevy pickup truck with white cover over the bed, just off Melgar at the car ferry dock. I don't know the street but it is the one that runs from Melgar to 65. Tacos are great torta is better.
Also there is a place on the road that crosses the island at somewhere near 125. on the right going to the east side of the island I heard it was good also.

Taco Paco, which has superb fried fish and shrimp tacos. I haven't really found anything like either on the island.

I'll second that! I had some of their fish tacos while killing time before our ferry and they were the best ever! We've tried to find anything comparable in KC but no luck, and we even have a large mexican district around SW blvd that's wall to wall authentic Mexican restaurants! Makes me want to go all the way back to Playa just for the tacos! :D

There's a little place across the street from the main taxi station one block north of the square. They have the best fish tacos I've ever had anywhere. It used to be a cart, but they've grown and now have nice plastic chairs and umbrellas. El Foco has very good tacos too. My favorite!

There's a little place across the street from the main taxi station one block north of the square. They have the best fish tacos I've ever had anywhere. It used to be a cart, but they've grown and now have nice plastic chairs and umbrellas. El Foco has very good tacos too. My favorite!

yOU AINT LYING ACROSS FROM THE TAXI HEADQUATERS THEY ARE THE ONES YOUR LOOKING FOR.:bounce3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom