Best time ever to be in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
By many observations, including my own, this seems to be the best time ever to be in Cozumel. Think about it...there are NO confirmed cases of this stupid flu in all of our state of Quintana Roo, there are NO cruise ship weenies in town, and airfares are CHEAP! Restaurants are wide open and the town is overjoyed to see you.

We at Aldora Divers have had only 2 cancellations and the ones here are having a blast.

I know this may sound like commercial concern but I assure you it is not. No matter who you are diving with, this is a great time to be in Cozumel.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dave is absolutely right. We're here now and we think this might be how nice it was before the cruise ships started coming. The silver and trinket stores are closed, VERY few asking us if we want cigars, and we haven't even SEEN a timeshare salesman. Even the taxi drivers have toned it down.

We feel lucky to be here in Mexico this week. We just looked up flights to come back in August, $319 r/t from San Francisco! Odds are we'll do this trip again, but probably won't be as nice as this trip with the crowds back in town.

It's very peaceful down here, that's for sure. The only beef I had was yesterday it was a solid line of taxis all the way down Melgar....zero parking spots. Today it seemed like they had found other places to wait for people that aren't coming.

Dave, Betsy & I were there last week & we totally agree----great weather, great diving, & no people,lol.......We stayed in the Krystal room this time(in the past we've always had the Barracuda) but Betsy actually liked it better!!!......

I really appreciated Meteo as a DM(you've got a good one there) & tell him thanks so much for taking us to Barracuda Reef last Saturday----it was everything I'd heard of & more...

Also, did Memo hear anything about the bearings for the Honda OB, we were supposed to bring them down a week ago Wed. with us but the guy @ Lighthouse Marine never mailed them to us...Oh well, hope ya'll can get some soon....

Also, here's some pics & videos I've uploaded in the last few days of our visit last week(click below).....Again, thanks for another great time on CZM, hope to get back this fall...Joe & Betsy

PS, how's the little one, bet he's really growing....take care & hope to see you again @ the Villas....

CZMApr09 pictures by GEAUXtiger - Photobucket

What camera? What camcorder? and underwater case? Beautiful picutres. Did you use a light for video or flash for stills? Going to Coz on the 23rd for first visit.

What camera? What camcorder? and underwater case? Beautiful picutres. Did you use a light for video or flash for stills? Going to Coz on the 23rd for first visit.

I guess you're referring to me.....& if so, thanks for the kind words.

I use a Canon A570 in a Canon UW case with no external strobe......ie barefooted on stills & videos.....Enjoy your visit, that was the best weather we've had since we started going back to CZM a little over 2 years ago....

Also, look @ more(better I think)pics in my sig......have a great time there........

Will see you in June. Hopefully, the "surface" conditions will hold. (Cozumel without cruiseships...:D)

While that would be nice from a tourist's standpoint, it would totally destroy a lot of Cozumel's economy. With no cruise ships, a lot of the downtown shops are closed, plus the thousands of tours, etc, that aren't being done. I've got local friends here that are sitting at home with no work because their employers are shut down for now.

Will see you in June. Hopefully, the "surface" conditions will hold. (Cozumel without cruiseships...:D)

Kinda like the 'old days'...in the late 80's only 3 or 4 cruise ships were there in a week....Actually back then, a few days a week were known as 'cruise ship day'--ie don't go shopping on those days down town, everything was 25% higher--lol, my wife found out from personal experience.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom