best travel backpack for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rab1412000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi everyone

what do you suggest i get as a travel diving backpack where i can fit my bcd (seaquest pro qd+), regulator (aqualung legend), wetsuit, fins, mask, and boots

im looking for something that could potentially be used as a handcarry, or if its too big and have to be checked-in, a backpack that will provide adequate padding for the equipment

thanks in advance

I am not a fan of 'dive' logo bags for travelling...they advertise that you have expensive items inside. Here are some options I have used in the past...

1. Expedition Bag... North Face do a range of very tough duffle type bags. If you pack sensibly, you can wrap the delicate items inside the wetsuit and clothes to protect them.

2. Hard Case... you can purchase a hardshell suitcase, which is protective, but weighs more. If money is not a concern, then Pelican do some large wheeled cases that are virtually bombproof.

3. Basic Rucksack...blend in like any other backpacker/traveller. A 60-80l rucksack will swallow your kit. Ex-military ones are cheap and durable.

If you can, take your regulator in your hand luggage. This allows better protection..and reduces weight in your hold luggage if excess baggage charges are a worry.

It is unlikely you would get the rest of your equipment into a hand-carry bag. Most airlines only allow approx 7kgs for handcarry...and the dimensions are unlikely to be enough for the bcd...

I am not a fan of 'dive' logo bags for travelling...they advertise that you have expensive items inside. Here are some options I have used in the past...

1. Expedition Bag... North Face do a range of very tough duffle type bags. If you pack sensibly, you can wrap the delicate items inside the wetsuit and clothes to protect them.

2. Hard Case... you can purchase a hardshell suitcase, which is protective, but weighs more. If money is not a concern, then Pelican do some large wheeled cases that are virtually bombproof.

3. Basic Rucksack...blend in like any other backpacker/traveller. A 60-80l rucksack will swallow your kit. Ex-military ones are cheap and durable.

If you can, take your regulator in your hand luggage. This allows better protection..and reduces weight in your hold luggage if excess baggage charges are a worry.

It is unlikely you would get the rest of your equipment into a hand-carry bag. Most airlines only allow approx 7kgs for handcarry...and the dimensions are unlikely to be enough for the bcd...

these are great suggestions.
ithink i can get myself a rucksack and i do have a hardcase wheeled suitcase lying around the house.

thanks

Measure the length of your fins before choosing a backpack.

I would say go with a pelican case if you can afford them. the case will protect your gear and they are waterproof and if you go on their website they have a showing of how a pelican case was in a mrap that was ied and the items were still perfect. inside.

A Pelican case is rugged but it also advertises that there is expensive equipment inside.

i have a semi-related question um i just go my regs and was going abroad on monday so was wondering would my regs be ok in my baggage (its in its on hard case as well) or bring it as carry on in its bag (which is big enough only for the regs its self)?

i have a semi-related question um i just go my regs and was going abroad on monday so was wondering would my regs be ok in my baggage (its in its on hard case as well) or bring it as carry on in its bag (which is big enough only for the regs its self)?

I always carry on my regs, computer, mask(prescription), swim suit, and change of underwear ;-) as well as any prescription drugs I need. This fits fine, including a book and Bose headphones in a small backpack. Never any problems with airport security or size for carry on.

I figure if luggage is lost/delayed -- it's happened to me -- I may be inconvenienced, but will not loose any dive time. I can rent everything else I need.

rickyd-but when u have ur regs in the backpack is it a normal one and do u protect them some way?

Dive Caddy
[Model: divecaddy]
From their web site Dive Caddy - The Worlds Smartest Dive Bag System! FYI if you like it search scubaboard first (a member is selling them):
Dive Caddy designed the Travel Bag to efficiently protect and compress your gear. We also utilize the gear you put in the bag & replace the typical bag stiffeners and padding. Basically, we’ve eliminated what you don’t need and traded for space you do.
The Bag System comes with the Travel Bag, Fin Caddy, Turtle Pack and Spider Bag.

This bag system will fit: Mask, Fins, Snorkel, (XL) BCD, Regulator (Pressure,Depth,Computer, Compass, Octo.), Boots, Gloves, 5mm Full WetSuit (XL) - Misc Small Dive Insundries - 2nd Dive Computer - 3 T-Shirts - 3 Pairs of Shorts -1 Swim Suit 1 Pair of Jeans - Large Beach Towel - Small Flashlight 1 XL Sweatshirt - 4 Pair Of Socks - 4 Pair of Mens Underwear - Hanging Men’s Bath Bag - Heavy Sandals - Passport - Playing Cards - Book - Tylenol - iPOD Journal - North Face Fleece Coat - Small Digital Camera

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom