Best Value AI Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I used the VT Pro on eight dives this weekend and it performed very well. I lost the transmitter signal a couple of times, although only very briefly, but it did identify the need for a backup SPG, which I didn't have and, contrary to others advice, thought I could do without. My first port of call on Monday was the LDS, to get a backup SPG on a hose.

The VT Pro is very similar in operation to my previous computer, a Versa Pro, and as such I found it very easy to use. The display is very large and well laid out. A couple of other people had VT Pro's and also really liked them. It is really easy to use and the large array of alarms warns you well in advance of any violation, a little too early if you don't have the alarms set right.

You can easily make the VT Pro more conservative by cranking down the TLBG alarm, which steps back the no deco time on dives. I originally set it back two graph blocks, but this was way too conservative, one block back was still conservative but worked out okay. I've heard some people complain that the Versa Pro/VT Pro computers are not conservative enough, by cranking the TLBG alarm down a block or two you can make it a really conservative computer.

The only thing I don't like is the very sensitive ascent rate alarm, my Versa Pro was the same. I am generally slow and cautious in my ascent rates, and about the slowest diver out of a group of sixteen. Yet, I would get the ascent rate alarm going off on every dive and could hear other VT Pro's doing the same. My ascent rates are pretty consistent also, but there is the occasional quick jump of a couple of feet, but I'm still slower than others. The VT Pro is not supposed to log the max ascent rate unless it is maintained for 4 seconds, but it almost looks like it logs the max ascent rate regardless of time period. Either that or everyone else is just ascending way too fast and I need to be slower still.

Overall, I really liked the VT Pro, and it was a significant improvement moving from a console to wrist mounted computer. Add to that the added benefit of having the psi on your wrist and it really makes life more comfortable and easy to get all your data quickly in one glance.

Phild, Thank you for all the info on the VT Pro. I have one comming this week and I was very intereted in your post regarding performance. Sounds Great! Did you find the unit to be cumbersome in terms of where you might put your hands or reaching for things...simply put did you bang it on stuff? I was concerned about that. Please elaborate more on some specifc functions that you liked. I'm brand new to the computer dive world so any advice or TIPS would be greatly appreciated. :)

PhilD once bubbled...
Well, I used the VT Pro on eight dives this weekend and it performed very well. I lost the transmitter signal a couple of times, although only very briefly, but it did identify the need for a backup SPG, which I didn't have and, contrary to others advice, thought I could do without. My first port of call on Monday was the LDS, to get a backup SPG on a hose.

Good call. Any wireless device like that can be susceptible to problem, and possibly when you can least affort to have them.

It's not surprising that you are torn between the Oceanic and the Aeris... same unit. A company in Oakland, CA is actually the manufacturer of not only the oceanic and aeris, but also the Sherwood wisdom... I've walked the manufacturing plant and testing facility and it was very impressive.

In all honesty, the first rev of the hoseless computers were a bit weak. I've used the 750GT and had cut out problems from the signal. The new version - the Atmos elite uses a new antenna setup and I've yet to have it cut out on me.

Doing the hosed version - Wisdom or Atmos AI saves you a bit of money - but in all honesty, is not any more or less reliable. I have seen more HP Hoses go out than I have transmitters... And if it does get messed up - you pop in a gauge and you still have a wrist computer... Just not air integrated.

Actually the most common problem I've seen in dive computers is display issues... numbers stop lighting up - or have lines through them.... so not wanting to start the whole LDS vs. Online thing... but I'd make sure I'm getting a manufacturers warranty... course then again, I'm a bit biased there.... I own ScubaToys.com.

So don't sweat the difference between oceanic and aeris - just figure out if you want the hoseless (my vote yes - but I'm not a techie) and find someone who will give you a decent deal, full warranty, and stand behind it...

Hope that helps!

Larry
info@scubatoys.com

CALI68 once bubbled...
Phild, Thank you for all the info on the VT Pro. I have one comming this week and I was very intereted in your post regarding performance. Sounds Great! Did you find the unit to be cumbersome in terms of where you might put your hands or reaching for things...simply put did you bang it on stuff? I was concerned about that. Please elaborate more on some specifc functions that you liked. I'm brand new to the computer dive world so any advice or TIPS would be greatly appreciated. :)

It isn't cumbersome at all, quite the contrary, I found it is much better on the wrist than a console, way easier to look at and all around just easier to use. For me at least, wrist mounted is far better than console mounted. I've done more dives with it now than I did with my console mounted Versa Pro and have less scratches and scuff marks on it than the console mounted Versa had.

The ease of use and big display are big pluses for me. The settings and alarms are all easily set. I found it was easy to set the alarms too conservatively and end up with them going off too often. But if you want to be real conservative, you can just crank up the alarms and actually take notice of them. If you don't want alarms going off until the last minute, then set them real low. Either way still keep an eye on remaining psi, NDL time, etc.

Overall I am very happy with it.

At my LDS they are selling a suunto Vytec incl. Transmitter for 670 euro :D

When I look at t he vytec and the pricetag it keeps saying, buy me buy me buy me I'm so cheap and attractive :p

Usually you pay over a 1000 euro :S

After doing research, including what I and others percieved as best for the many hundreds of dollars that would need to be spent, I choose the Oceanic VT Pro. Here's my two cents on hoseless: Don't ever allow technology to let you not have situational awareness (know your depth, time, tank pressure at all times). That being said, for recreational purposes, eliminating hoses is a good thing. If your computer fails, this is reason to consider ending the dive. (I haven't ever heard of a catastrophic failure - the VT actually has multiple computers - you won't lose depth if the timer dies, or you won't lose time if the transmitter dies, etc... I'd be more concerned about streamlining and eliminating loss of air situations) The benefit of hoseless is wasted on keeping the hoses :) If you want a computer and traditional gauges, do that and save $400. Get the Versa Pro or equiv. If you want to streamline and eliminate hoses, get the VT Pro, a retractable or wrist mounted compass, and an inflator hose safe second regulator.

Aquanaught once bubbled...
At my LDS they are selling a suunto Vytec incl. Transmitter for 670 euro :D

When I look at t he vytec and the pricetag it keeps saying, buy me buy me buy me I'm so cheap and attractive :p

Buy it buy it buy it it's so cheap and attractive :D

Back
Top Bottom