Best value canister for recreational diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott M:
I've never been in the water with my LC, how do you like it?
It really depends on what you're doing...

If I had my way, I'd spring for a 10w HID can light and be done with it....but as it stands, I don't have the $$.

The LC is a PITA to do anything with if it is in your hand (unlike with a goodman handle). I'm going to modify (when I get the time) the LC to be more useful in this regard. It also doesn't ride real well anywhere while it's off. I tend to tuck it under my arm with a lanyard around my wrist. However, it works well for light and signalling while diving...it's a cheap (especially since I got it used) alternative to a can light...and yeah, I accept that.

Big-t-2538:
It really depends on what you're doing...

If I had my way, I'd spring for a 10w HID can light and be done with it....but as it stands, I don't have the $$.

The LC is a PITA to do anything with if it is in your hand (unlike with a goodman handle). I'm going to modify (when I get the time) the LC to be more useful in this regard. It also doesn't ride real well anywhere while it's off. I tend to tuck it under my arm with a lanyard around my wrist. However, it works well for light and signalling while diving...it's a cheap (especially since I got it used) alternative to a can light...and yeah, I accept that.
Thanks, Thats what I wanted to know.

I have mine set up on cave line with two bolt snaps, one is tied off close to clip it off when it is unclipped there is a length of line that is still clipped to the d-ring in case I drop it. I picker that up off a web site SeaJay sent me.

Like I said I have never been in the water with it but the whole size thing seemed ackward.

Big-t-2538:

That is what I was thinking too. Though cheaper, the LC would be a pain to lug around by hand. Would be nice to have my hand relatively free.

warren_l:
I'm looking into cannister lights also .... has anyone used the Terkel Sollys Modular HID Canister Lights?
I bought one. Its a good light, nice and bright. The Halcyon has a slighly tighter beam, but $ for $ the Terkel is a good light.

I think it's a decent light. I was looking at that before I went with the Terkel. Not entirely sure if the beam is focusable or not. Comes with a wrist strap instead of a goodman handle - might not be a big deal if the wrist strap works well.

focusable or non-focusable. If it's a non-focus type, find out what the beam dimension is....6 degree, 13 degree, etc.

I wouldn't recommend a wide-beam option.

Agreed.

If you must do fixed-beam (which I don't like in the first place) 6 degree is a must.

Thanks for the replys.

I think for the extra money I will look for a focusable light as suggested. Best of both worlds.

Back
Top Bottom