Question Best way to get Indonesian rupiah cash?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d rather just take hundreds and get it exchanged. I don’t like traveling with my ATM card.
Honestly I think it's more risky traveling with hundreds in USD than an ATM card. What's your plan to get more cash if all those hundreds are lost or stolen and you don't have an ATM card?

On a recent trip I only withdrew 1 - 2 million IDR from a Jakarta airport ATM. That's about 128 USD. I had plenty remaining at the end of my trip.

However, I was staying at resorts and on liveaboards where food was included. The rupiah were for tips and things from small markets like snacks. Taxi rides also. I used a Visa card everywhere else.

Honestly I think it's more risky traveling with hundreds in USD than an ATM card. What's your plan to get more cash if all those hundreds are lost or stolen and you don't have an ATM card?
My husband and I usually divide up cash between the two of us in two different places. I’m just conflicted as I read a bunch of posts on here about people having ATM cards not work or being limited on how much you can take out at once.

@Karen Dancheck , I would definitely bring an ATM card. I personally can't think of a reason to leave it at home, but I'm sure you have a good reason.

Since I need to bring other valuable things like my passport, including an ATM card isn't a big deal to me. Again, I understand you have your own concerns though.

There are stories of certain ATMs not working with certain debit cards, but there are just so many ATMs in the Jakarta airport that I'm not sure people find this a showstopping problem. I've used both BNI and Mandiri ATMs without problems.

My husband and I usually divide up cash between the two of us in two different places. I’m just conflicted as I read a bunch of posts on here about people having ATM cards not work or being limited on how much you can take out at once.
I always travel twice a year in Indonesia with lots of cash, never had any problem. I hardly use my credit card in Indonesia (the few things I'd purchase at the airport I'd pay with a Revolut card debit card where Idont pa excess fees on currency exchange) .
I've also had issues at some places in Bali paying with a european credit card in the past : transactions where simply rejected even though it was supposed to be "international" hotels.

The places you're traveling at are safe and anyway you won't have to bring a lot of money.
The only cash you'll have to bring will be for paying the VOA (33$ per person on arrival), tips for your guide or the staff at Villa Markisa - maybe a land trip around Bali, typically the equivalent of 50-60 USD per daytrip for a local driver- and tips you can pay in USD at Wakatobi resort.

@Karen Dancheck , I would definitely bring an ATM card. I personally can't think of a reason to leave it at home, but I'm sure you have a good reason.

Since I need to bring other valuable things like my passport, including an ATM card isn't a big deal to me. Again, I understand you have your own concerns though.

There are stories of certain ATMs not working with certain debit cards, but there are just so many ATMs in the Jakarta airport that I'm not sure people find this a showstopping problem. I've used both BNI and Mandiri ATMs without problems.
Ok. Good to know. We fly in and out of Bali not Jakarta. Our flight gets in at 3:20pm on a Monday. Not even sure there are exchange places open. Honestly, I’m just reluctant to travel with my ATM card as it is attached to my checking account which I don’t want drained if the card gets stolen. Maybe I can get a prepaid debit card.

get a Schwab credit card. You don't need to open a Schwab brokerage account. Transfer the amount you think you need and use this debit card. Schwab reimburses any fees charged. If you don't use all the money, just transfer it back to your bank account when you return. Have used this for years

@Karen Dancheck Bali/Depensar(DPS) airport is a major international airport so exchanges are certain to be open at the time you expect to arrive. I have used the ATMs in the airport and would do that route myself, preferring not to use one outside the airport though I have, though I would not expect to get a lot of money out as I put most charges on the CC. Either way, you will want to advise your credit card carrier that you are traveling to Indonesia so they do not reject charges from an unexpected foreign location.

I also know that Capital One does not charge for international transactions, plus they have offers now for 0% for 15 months on new accounts plus cash back rewards. The prepaid debit card could also work though you want to check what networks that card supports as to whether it is available in Indonesia.

Lastly, while voluntarily paying any fees is not desireable, you have to put it in perspective as it isn't something to get too upset over: typical fee is 3%. It would take $2000 in charges to accumulate a $60 fee. $60 is a tiny drop in a trip bucket such as yours.

Wakatobi?! I wanna go! :) Enjoy

The atm machines have information on how much they can dispense in a single transaction. Some are 1.5 million some are 2.5 million. Cash gets the lowest exchange rate. ATM's are safe as at atm cards.

Ok. Good to know. We fly in and out of Bali not Jakarta. Our flight gets in at 3:20pm on a Monday. Not even sure there are exchange places open. Honestly, I’m just reluctant to travel with my ATM card as it is attached to my checking account which I don’t want drained if the card gets stolen. Maybe I can get a prepaid debit card.

There at ATM machines at the airport. Money changers are all around and open all sorts of hours. If your atm card gets stolen then so does other things like your passports and cash. I've not had anything stolen from me in over 40 years of traveling in Indonesia. By the way you should be more aware of being scammed of your US$ Cash at a money changer than from using an ATM Card at an ATM machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom