Betrayed and Bewildered

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NW Dive Dawg

SDI / TDS Solo Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok..... thought this was interesting for an open forum non-diving related post.

For the past 20 or 30 years, my traditional go-to cocktail has always been vodka, club soda and a healthy oz of pure 100% lemon juice. I've always used the Costco lemon juice since I was happy that it was 100% Real Lemon Juice. For the first time, and since getting a new lens for cataract in my left eye....I noticed the fine print that lives right beneath the nice big red banner that says.....100% Real Lemon Juice".

Apparently in America....it's OK to boldly lie about a product as long as you have some fine print telling everyone that you're lying! :)

V1lGYZB.png

wbYSTXC.png

For the past 20 or 30 years, my traditional go-to cocktail has always been vodka, club soda and a healthy oz of pure 100% lemon juice. I've always used the Costco lemon juice since I was happy that it was 100% Real Lemon Juice. For the first time, and since getting a new lens for cataract in my left eye....I noticed the fine print that lives right beneath the nice big red banner that says.....100% Real Lemon Juice".

Apparently in America....it's OK to boldly lie about a product as long as you have some fine print telling everyone that you're lying! :)

V1lGYZB.png

wbYSTXC.png
Just posting to note that ReaLemon is not an exclusive Costco product and can be purchased just about anywhere.

Sodium Metabisulfite is on the Hazardous Substance List because it is cited by ACGIH, DOT, NIOSH and IARC.

Sodium Metabisulfite is on the Hazardous Substance List because it is cited by ACGIH, DOT, NIOSH and IARC.

That makes it even more onerous. "Hey........check out our 100% Lemon Juice.......except we added a little poison!

Believe it or not we now have Costco in NZ now (yes, we are 50 years behind). Wife bought some "natural vanilla extract". Same deal, it appears that very little of the product is actual vanilla extract. We are not health freaks, but the labelling is misleading. Of course, it's not limited to Costco.

IMG-8791.jpg

IMG-8792.jpg

except we added a little poison!
That poison is a very common preservative. You will find it in lots of juices, wines, and dried fruits.

Maybe your definitions of "real", "lemon", "juice", "100%"… are just like, your opinion, man :)

Attachments

• 1713133473295.png
    1713133473295.png
    630.7 KB · Views: 5
That poison is a very common preservative. You will find it in lots of juices, wines, and dried fruits.

Totally get it John....... but the point is........is that poison commonly found in 100% lemon juice? The KEY term here is 100%. Maybe the Real Lemon folks should say something more honest and accurate like 99% Real Lemon Juice..... But then that might affect sales...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom