Beware of Computer Cookies when online shopping for flights and packages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yet another reason to avoid Continental Airlines.

:shakehead: JUST SAY NO TO CONTINENTAL AIRLINES! :shakehead:
I like the airline, and they all do it...

I like continental as well, they service Guam and micronesia. never had problems with them, just when booking them through orbitz or travelocity. Orbitz and travelocity sell tickets on days that Continental doesnt fly. Orbitz and travelocity figure that the majority of consumers will agree to the last minute changes and suck up the additional costs of hotels at layover cities and missed hotel reservation fees rather than cancel the trip and demand a full refund.

Again that is why I research online then call directly to airlines and hotels and usually get a lower price than what I found on the internet. This also gives you a chance to ask for any and all types of discounts, fraternal organization,Travel club, employer discounts as well as any unadvertised promotions etc.

Orbitz and travelocity sell tickets on days that Continental doesnt fly. Orbitz and travelocity figure that the majority of consumers will agree to the last minute changes and suck up the additional costs of hotels at layover cities and missed hotel reservation fees rather than cancel the trip and demand a full refund.

:confused: :shocked2:

Can they legally do that ? Has that happened to you ?
I've booked trip packages (flight+hotel) before on the French Expedia and other websites, most often it was charter flights so they didn't tell me at the time of booking the flight schedule (they'd send me an e.mail a couple of days ahead to tell me about the departure time). But they would always mention it at the time of booking that the flight might leave at any time on the chosen date (so if you leave at 11 pm and return at 2 am, you basically missed 2 days of vacation), so I knew what I was signing for. Plus there were never extra costs involved as it was a package.

But actually selling flights that do not exist from regular airlines, that's downright conning !

Hey Dandy Don: Tell me some more about those cookies. I don't know much about computers. So I was wondering can you get the cookies in Chocolate Chip?

annlaur, Yep it happened. The changes weren't just a 2-3 hour change in departure, at the last minute getting emails saying that in one case a 24hour layover in another country and the other case a 48 hour layover in another country.
Both cases it took about 5 hours on the phone to get my money back, but I did get my money back.

I've checked Cont Air, then checked Sidestep.com to find a better fair on Cont for the same dates - booking thru Continental.com. It's always best to book with the source, but getting a fair price form the source isn't so easy.

For last weekend's trip to Albuquerque's giant Balloon Fest, I shopped Sidestep for rooms. Red Roof $40 rooms were booking months ago for $55 thru Sidestep, the best I could find in a decent hotel close to the park - but at Redroof.com - higher. So I followed Sidestep's link to Expedia to book, but then I confirmed more than once. Same rooms were $90 on walk-in when I arrived, but we were good.

Glad you at least got your money back, Mongodives.

I guess now I won't be as jealous of the flight rates I see on Orbitz (significantly less than the French websites because of the euro-dollar exchange rate, but I can't use them departing from France).

For last weekend's trip to Albuquerque's giant Balloon Fest, I shopped Sidestep for rooms. Red Roof $40 rooms were booking months ago for $55 thru Sidestep, the best I could find in a decent hotel close to the park - but at Redroof.com - higher. So I followed Sidestep's link to Expedia to book, but then I confirmed more than once.
I usually try to book hotels thru tripadvisor. They don't actually do the booking themselves, but when you click on "making a reservation/checking rates", they automatically open a bunch of different hotel booking sites : expedia, ebookers, booking… Makes it very easy to compare which has the best rate.

I usually try to book hotels thru tripadvisor. They don't actually do the booking themselves, but when you click on "making a reservation/checking rates", they automatically open a bunch of different hotel booking sites : expedia, ebookers, booking… Makes it very easy to compare which has the best rate.
Very similar to Sidestep/Kayak and all. I often get different choices on where to book, but prefer to book with the source if possible - unless using an Orbitz code for $200 off on a Mexico package, then confirm confirm confirm.

Read about a mistake on British Airway I think it was recently: RT from US to India for $500 rather than $1500. Those who booked at the airline got to keep their tickets; those who booked with Orbitz got refunds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom