Beware of Leisure Pro - bad experience buying a regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've refused to shop at leisurepro ever since they made it clear that they don't think a 3 month delay warrants more than a 'your item is on back order, but we're expecting it soon, and will send it out ASAP'(paraphrasing). I believe a 3 month delay is worthy of 'the item you ordered from our website is out of stock and we are not expecting it for another 3 months. Would you like to wait for your item or would you like to change your order?'
As far as the actual customer service goes, I had a rep that didn't see a problem doing business this way and purposely missed my point time and again. I ended up just getting a refund and buying my stuff elsewhere for the same damn price.
I'm just glad I learned that lesson before spending too much with them.

I have never had a problem with LP. Matter of fact, I went there to buy a drysuit, but that model in my size wasn't in stock. They upgraded me to the next model which was available in my size, but located in their warehouse. Difference in price was nearly $500. It was shipped that day and arrived the next day. I was only charged for the base model suit. No shipping or tax since I gave them a NJ address.

LP is what it is. To many of you, it's an online retailer with the best pricing. To dive retailers, it's the equivalant of Home Depot to the local hardware store. To me, it's just another LDS in NYC....but, closed on Saturdays to give the other guys a chance.

A Kosher butcher named Lapenta? :shocked2:

I don't know his story, you can be considered Jewish matrilineally by birth. Bottom line don't make assumptions by surname.

Last edited:
I used to see similar "attitude" complaints about B&H back in the day when you had to call them on the phone. I always knew what I wanted when I called and never had an issue. You could hear the multiple phone conversations in the background--those guys were busy!

Same question as for the OP, and the same question the LP rep asked you... What were you expecting them to do about it at that point? They screwed up, but they didn't have the item to send you. In your place, I might fantasize that they'd send me the item for free when they got it in -- but that probably wouldn't be realistic.

No, I don't expect something for nothing........ I just feel he could have at least attempted to locate the product from a different supplier or at least "Pretended" to call by putting me on hold. That way I would (or anyone) would have felt like he did something about the problem. Or, who knows he just may have been able to locate one for me if he tried.

When they asked the one poster "He agreed and asked, What I wanted to do about it?. " You got damn lucky. He opened the door and you slammed it shut on your own foot. Had you said "I'd like to get the right hood as soon as it comes in with free shipping." That is most likely what would have happened! Instead they were expected to bend over and bow down with much apologizing. That is just not the way it works.

Pretty much the same answer as above.... he could have done something. I didn't expect him to kiss my butt or bow down, just act like he was concerned, That's what Customer Service is about. Believe me I know how it is to do Customer Service. I'm a Deputy Sheriff and most times when I deal with people their matters are of a civil nature not criminal. But I can't just tell them, Tuff Crap not my problem (even though I would like to at times) I have to make them understand in a tactful manner.

This will be all that is said about this by me...... like I stated above I don't want to hyjack the OP's thread.

I just ordered a macro lens from Adorama. The item was backordered and cost 156 dollars.
I received the item a week before they said it would come in. They also lowered the price to 144 dollars because that is what it is selling for now.
No complaints here. Good job

I like LP, but if I can I buy through ScubaToys as they are usually the same price or cheaper. If they are not, tell them and they usually will be. If a reg they sold had this problem, they most likely would have dealt with the issue promptly and left the customer out of it until it was resolved with the manu.

As for shopping at an LDS, I didn't really get the whys until I bought a couple items from them and had a problem with one of them a month later. They pulled the same unit off the shelf, handed it to me new and took back mine without even a question being asked. It certainly costs more to buy from them but they delivered the service when I needed it. I am sure peoples experience varies.

I'm not trying to hyjack RaginCajun's post but I too have bought items from LP and have had no problems until my last order. I ordered a 3mm Drysuit hood for a FFM. they offered free shipping but I paid for faster delivery because I needed it ASAP for an upcoming dive class. I was sent a different item, when I called LP I was told I would have to buy another one and when I returned the other hood I'd get credit back and they would send it 2nd business day so I would have it ASAP, Great so far. This was on a Thursday afternoon. Friday Afternoon I check my emails and I'm told that my order is now backordered with an unk ship date. I call LP customer service and was on hold for 20 mins until someone picked up the phone then hung up. I called back and got a recording that Customer Service had closed for the day @ 3pm (about 15 mins prior). It was like they just took everyone on hold and hung up on them. So I was forced to wait until monday morning. I called back and spoke the person I spoke to on Thursday and told him about the backorder, he didn't know about it. Apparently, according to him the online store and the brick store share the same inventory and there was only one and it went to the other guy.(first come first serve) I told that if I had been sent the right hood to begin with we wouldn't be in this predictament. He agreed and asked, What I wanted to do about it?. I told hem that is not what I wanted to hear, he should be telling ME what LP is going to do to correct the problem and keep me happy. I thought that's what Customer Service meant. But, as long as he is asking. I told him to cancel everything and to not bother sending me any email survey because they won't like what I put in it. He just simply said OK...... No nothing about letting him try and correct the problem or anything. Just OK order cancelled have a good day. With the hang up on Friday and his demeanor on the phone, it was like LP doesn't care if I ever buy anythiing from them again. Whrere is the CUSTOMER SERVICE in that statement. :idk:

I'm sorry about your experience, if you could privately send me your order number, I can pass it along to see if we can improve things on our end.

Over the years, I've worked for quite a few very large non-SCUBA retailers and was consistently trained to ask a customer what they would like us to do to fix the situation. I don't claim to be a customer service training expert, but I the "ask the customer how they'd like to see it fixed" as fairly standard. But perhaps that's just in my neck of the woods (which happens to be in different woods than the rest of LP).

I've refused to shop at leisurepro ever since they made it clear that they don't think a 3 month delay warrants more than a 'your item is on back order, but we're expecting it soon, and will send it out ASAP'(paraphrasing). I believe a 3 month delay is worthy of 'the item you ordered from our website is out of stock and we are not expecting it for another 3 months. Would you like to wait for your item or would you like to change your order?'
As far as the actual customer service goes, I had a rep that didn't see a problem doing business this way and purposely missed my point time and again. I ended up just getting a refund and buying my stuff elsewhere for the same damn price.
I'm just glad I learned that lesson before spending too much with them.

I completely understand your point of view and know that plenty of people would like more regular updates on backordered items. On the other hand, I'm waiting on a backordered item from Amazon right now and my order was cancelled because I forgot to confirm I still wanted in via their weekly update. Needless to say, I'm a little frustrated that I now have to go redo my entire order. It's difficult to figure out the file balance between enough and too many emails, but we're working on it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom