BH Notes 1/22-23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parkerco

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went down to assist a few classes this past weekend at the Hole. Weather was actually nice except for a biting wind Saturday that made the surface interval transition between wet and dry a lil' painful on the fingers, but nothing too terrible.

Lots o' students this weekend! Kind of silty but the biggest bummer was the folks who got there first Saturday set up in a row as close to the water as possible without giving people a path through their tarps, chairs and gear -- had to walk all the way to the stream to get up to the concrete and the path to Stella's =(

Main reason I wanted to write here though was we got a tour of the facility! Supposedly the ribbon-cutting will be in the next few months (we talked to a city representative who was there and said they were just waiting on furniture, but who knows). Tons of room, several bathrooms, showers, a heating room, spot for a snack bar and a big kitchen ... will definitely be awesome when it's done. There is no furniture yet, however (benches in the warming room, etc.). Am curious what the plan is for keeping it clean since it's going to be a muddy mess, but hopefully they'll have something worked out.

If you're heading there in the next few months check it out -- I believe Stella has the key if nobody from the city is there and can show you around.

Thanks! I heard they were giving tours.
I also heard they are still out of money and looking for a way to make it off the divers... not sounding good in that respect. I don't know what the per-person fee is going to be once this opens, but everyone needs to expect it to be up. Also a rumor of a "hotel tax" for divers. ~~If you look at other freshwater dive holes, most charge $20-25pp per day so that is my guess for Blue Hole. I wouldn't mind paying it IF they also charge swimmers a fee, at least 25% of diver fee per person. We'll see...

robin:D

... the biggest bummer was the folks who got there first Saturday set up in a row as close to the water as possible without giving people a path through their tarps, chairs and gear -- had to walk all the way to the stream to get up to the concrete and the path to Stella's =(
Always my complaint. :mad: So rude, and they seem to be so righteous about it. Plus there is often a car parked in the no-parking area at the end.

Hotel tax for divers? That can not be enforced, and it's rather unamerican. As a diver, I get better rates in Santa Rosa as I frequent those hotels.

Santa Rosa is nothing if not unpredictable. However my bet is they are working hard to fund the completion of this project. I would think Santa Rosa would be well served to make diving at BH as painless as possible. They last thing they need is to drive business away.

I will not speculate on gate entrance fees, etc. I would hope they are inline with current rates. I don't know many that are unhappy with the current setup other than the LDS's setting up in the way of anyone trying to get to the entrance.

Am I the only one that yells at folks to make a path when they spread out too much?
I've tried.

I guess I need to take a woman to ask, as asking politely hasn't worked for me.

Instead of yelling, a simple question might also work...

"Hey buddy, could you leave a path clear so I don't drop my tank or weight belt on your gear?" :wink:

Instead of yelling, a simple question might also work...

"Hey buddy, could you leave a path clear so I don't drop my tank or weight belt on your gear?" :wink:
Yeah, the students do what their Inst tells them to do, and he likes them all spread out there it seems. They don't move for me, and I'm afraid of getting into it with the pompous ass behind the mess...
I guess I need to take a woman to ask, as asking politely hasn't worked for me.
Oh well, I only go once a year nowadays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom