BHB 12/20 poaching...what gives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bottom line is Palm Beach has an ordinance already on the books that makes it illegal.

If taken literally (...and in my opinion), this ordnance should protect all creatures within park boundaries, including fish. Weather it be for nutritional value or viewing pleasure, all types of fish should either be protected or allowed legal harvest. If not, its a classic case of discrimination.

Reminds me of last month. A boat was fishing on Molasses reef and when I told him he couldnt fish there he waved me off. I called FWC who showed up in an unmarked boat(quickly I was surprised) and issued the buffoons a couple of citations. They also kicked them off the reef.

So by all means do call FWC because they do respond if available

The bottom line is Palm Beach has an ordinance already on the books that makes it illegal.

Further, I think your comparison is apples and oranges. There's a big difference between putting fish on the family dinner table and collecting seahorses for one's aquarium.

Yeah I agree, one activity is intent on killing the animal and the goal of the other is to keep the organism alive and healthy for as long as possible.

Yeah I agree, one activity is intent on killing the animal and the goal of the other is to keep the organism alive and healthy for as long as possible.

It's butt simple DD: If your goal is to keep something alive and healthy, leave it where it is :doh:

The County (I assume) has spent a lot of money to facilitate hook and line fishing at that facility. I have no idea why consumptive uses such as hook and line fishing should be promoted while other legal (and highly regulated) uses (such as tropical collection or underwater fishing) should be banned.

It's butt simple DD: If your goal is to keep something alive and healthy, leave it where it is :doh:
Could not agree more -

Not a big fan of more rules, regulations, or laws, but the fact is a lot of stuff dies quickly when put into a marine aquarium. To say nothing of the collecting methods used in some parts of the world.

I know; back in the '80's I had one and while I don't think they should be illegal, I made the choice over 20 years ago that I could never duplicate the ocean.

Its ironic, because a very good friend of mine has been active in the S FL Marine Aquarium Society for years and no doubt would not agree - but even he admits the high mortality issues and collection methods.

I guess you know where I stand on collecting at the Blue Herron Bridge!

The park rangers still won't enforce PB County Parks and Recreation Ordinance # 2004-022, Section 7(B) that states: No person shall remove, molest, harm, frighten, kill, trap, hunt, chase, shoot, or throw any object at any animal....

He was also violating lobster laws by taking an undersized specimen.

For the dive community to stop this, we need to be willing to end your dive and call FWC at 888-404-3922 and report them.

I believe this is a "terrestrial" rule regarding Palm Beach County parks and does not apply, although it might be fuzzy with regard to Phil Foster Park.

Shcubasteve's link: RECREATIONAL HARVESTING INFORMATION FOR MARINE LIFE SPECIES is the applicable law. As long as species type, bag limits, and size regulations are followed there is nothing inherently illegal about collecting fish for aquaria.
In addition, some of us have special permits as educators to collect. You might want to check the rules and ask the collector before you hit speed dial and alert the authorities.
The short Lobster however is inexcusable.

The park rangers still won't enforce PB County Parks and Recreation Ordinance # 2004-022, Section 7(B) that states: No person shall remove, molest, harm, frighten, kill, trap, hunt, chase, shoot, or throw any object at any animal....

He was also violating lobster laws by taking an undersized specimen.

For the dive community to stop this, we need to be willing to end your dive and call FWC at 888-404-3922 and report them.

Call! Early and Often. I do not know about PB County but if they are park rangers they can not "enforce" anything but call the popo which you can do yourselves. As far as the guy might have permits and such that is fine still call. He can whip out the permits and show PBSO the permits.

I have not followed the links to this issue and do not know what the end decesion was regarding the ordinace and BHB. If this is a writable offense keep the ordinance number handy for the officer as there are THOUSANDS of them and this will make it easier to hand out a citation-- which is what you are looking for--

to stop this act of poaching you could call FWC and they will take care of it. the web sight is myfwc.com there is a poaching hot line.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom