BHB and slack tide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We usually get in 30 before, but I tried the hour before thin today...water was clear but the current was a bit more than I prefer when managing a camera and watching over a person I'd never dove with before who was new to the site. About 30 minutes before high tide the current lessened and we had a great dive as usual for BHB! Lots of smaller rays, great weather, fun times.

You are right jahjah i just called force-e dive shop andc the said the high tide was 5:11 and recommended in getting in the water at 4:30-4:20. My father and i will be there at around 4 or before looking for parking and getting ready. Maybe we will run into each other.

So were you able to get to BHB? My son and I are planning on diving there next month for the first time. How was the dive?

Dean, a lot of how early you get in the water depends on how long you think your dive will be.
Some divers at the bridge actually dive 120 minutes or longer so getting in early allows them to
do these longer dives. Even 10 minutes before high tide the current can be flowing pretty good.
The tides are not always exact either. I have been south of the bridge 10 minutes after high tide
and the water was still flowing noticeably. Usually after 50 minutes or so after high tide you will
feel the water begin to flow south back out to sea. Slack tides vary in length and the strength
of the tidal flow varys as well. I wear a watch and use the actual time to judge where I would like to
be when the current starts flowing south back out to sea.

Dean,

Yes we made it there yesterday and dove for around an hour an a half with 650 psi left and plenty to see! High tide was 5:11 pm and my dive computer shows us starting the dive at 4:38 and exiting the water at 6:09. Eveyone i talked to recomended going on slack tide as it would probably give us the best experience for our first dive there so i recommend you try doing the same. We started on the south/east side of the bridge and went straight out to the sunk boat, looked around for a little while saw lobsters, octopus, baracuda, and tons of more fish. From there we headed beack to the bridge and pilings and dove there for a while taking pictures with my GoPro of everything i could see. The park and facilities were very nice and we meet some other divers while exiting and talked for about 30 mintues and had a good time. For a free place to dive, park, shower and meet good people i would recommend to anyone to take the chance to go check out BHB for a relaxing exciting dive!

So were you able to get to BHB? My son and I are planning on diving there next month for the first time. How was the dive?

Jahjah,

we started diving 30 min before and had a great time, we meet a person named steve who had a camera who was very nice "maybe it was you" plus we saw a few other people with a camera equipment below the floating sail boats so we could of passed each other. But i had a great first experience diving there and so did my father we will deff be going back again!

We usually get in 30 before, but I tried the hour before thin today...water was clear but the current was a bit more than I prefer when managing a camera and watching over a person I'd never dove with before who was new to the site. About 30 minutes before high tide the current lessened and we had a great dive as usual for BHB! Lots of smaller rays, great weather, fun times.

Dean,

Yes we made it there yesterday and dove for around an hour an a half with 650 psi left and plenty to see! High tide was 5:11 pm and my dive computer shows us starting the dive at 4:38 and exiting the water at 6:09. Eveyone i talked to recomended going on slack tide as it would probably give us the best experience for our first dive there so i recommend you try doing the same. We started on the south/east side of the bridge and went straight out to the sunk boat, looked around for a little while saw lobsters, octopus, baracuda, and tons of more fish. From there we headed beack to the bridge and pilings and dove there for a while taking pictures with my GoPro of everything i could see. The park and facilities were very nice and we meet some other divers while exiting and talked for about 30 mintues and had a good time. For a free place to dive, park, shower and meet good people i would recommend to anyone to take the chance to go check out BHB for a relaxing exciting dive!

I'm glad you had a good time. I'm looking forward to diving there. We went out on JASA last year and didn't get a chance to dive the bridge then but I have been wanting to dive there since then and have heard a lot of good things about that site.

I was easy to recognize, diving sidemount. I did have a camera, as do many at BHB. BHB is like a magnet for people with horrible dive skills and a nice camera tricked out with nifty strobes and stuff. I'm not sure how they get any good pictures with all the silt they stir up...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom