Big Bay Point on July 1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't you wish they'd 'find' a rock. Did you take the time to explain what the flag meant? That said, some of the flags/floats I've seen are so small (and my current one is in that category), that a boater who is not specifically looking for it, probably won't notice it. I've been down to a couple of hundred feet from a 12" diameter, 4 ft high, red 'can' buoy that I was looking for and knew roughly where it should be, before I spotted it. Especially on a sunny day, the dazzle on the water make things hard to spot. Of course, slowing down close to shore in such conditions would be wise. And with a bunch of divers around, there's usually lots of indications on the shore/lawn area that there are divers around.

We had 2 good dives at Big Bay. Flew the flag for the first one. For the second/night, decided just as safe/safer without. Likely no one would see it and someone could hit/foul a prop in the dark, even with a light on it. The traffic to from Barrie at speeds to about 60mph as quite heavy for a bit, eased as we started the dive and picked up the other way just after we exited, we're guessing they went to Barrie to watch the fireworks. There was a group launching fireworks off the dock as we approached/exited. Made an interesting show from below.
We found a buch of stuff, including a Candaian Flag at the end of one line, the toilet/cell phone. Is that the "cruiser" at the other end of that log. :wink: On the night dive we had a suckermouth who cruised the deeper section besdie us, keep just on the edge of visibily to one side (est vis was about 20 to 25 feet). Thought at first there must be a lot of them, eventually realized it was the same fish following us.

Over all, not a bad location, will probably dive it again. As with the Morrison, treat it as a virtual overhead. Would be better if it had a porta potti or washrooms nearby. Temps near the surface we in the 60's (bunch of kids were swimming), temp at 80 feet was 53F.

Groundhog246:
We found a buch of stuff, including a Candaian Flag at the end of one line, the toilet/cell phone. Is that the "cruiser" at the other end of that log. :wink: On the night dive we had a suckermouth who cruised the deeper section besdie us, keep just on the edge of visibily to one side (est vis was about 20 to 25 feet). Thought at first there must be a lot of them, eventually realized it was the same fish following us.
Actually, that flag we found on our last dive last week in the mud as we were swimming out, so we planted it at the end of the parallel line.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom