Big Eyes vs X-Vision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
If it has the tear drop shaped lenses, it's going to be similar.

I tried on about six different big eye type masks. The difference in volume, and angle of view are VERY minimal. One would have to measure each to get volume differences, and one has to put the mask on, and then find VERY specific points focus on to determine field of view to find which has more or less.

In day to day use I seriously doubt one has a noticibly wider view, or is more/less difficult to clear. Another thing to keep in mind is that I discovered that the Genesis Panview is EXACTLY the same mask as one of the Scubapros my buddy purchased. The ONLY difference was the color, and logo. So it appears that many products are produced in ONE factory, and then the logo applied. Ironically the Scubapro verion was $10 more at LP, go figure.

good points, all are good masks, get the one that fits your face best and go with that, for me it was a big eyes, and i love it, i'm on my second after someone borrowed my first and lost it..

Deus:
Is the Matrix pretty much the same as the Big Eyes?
No. The Matrix seems to fit a larger face and has a significantly smaller and thinner frame. The Big Eyes fits me very well, but the Matrix was too big, and the Lince too small. I think I have the names right :wink:

I thought both masks were nice and had great field of view, but I chose the X-vision only becuase it fight my face better.

The X-Vision will make a better back up mask than the Big Eyes. The Big Eyes has a full frame compared to skirt mounted buckles on the X-Vision. This causes the X-Vision to be able to fold up flat while the Big Eyes can't.

That said, I have a Big Eyes in my dive bag and I love it. My only complaint is the poor upward view. That is easily remedied though with a tilt of the head.

Hi, I would like to know if the masks with the skirt mounted buckles (such as on the Mares X-Vision, X-Stream and Pure Vision) does not provide a weak point, since should the silicone connecting the buckle to the skirt fail, the mask is history, where with frame fitted buckles, the strap is most likely to fail and can be replaced with out replaced the mask?

I've never heard of it being a problem. Not sure if it's any more likely then breaking the plastic frame that a normal buckle is attached to. What if you dropped something on or stepped on a normal mask? Which do you think would be more likely to survive?

And who still uses factory mask straps when neoprene ones can be bought for $10 or so and are more comfortable, and won't break?

Deus:
Is the Matrix pretty much the same as the Big Eyes?
I have both, started with the Big Eyes and then bought the Matrix. The Matrix has a lower profile, less blowing to clear. Like them both the Matrix just fits my face better, and when all is said and done it's all about the fit.....

Back
Top Bottom