Big island 7/3-7/7 and Oahu 7/7-7/13 new diver suggestions for AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was Dive one of deep, wreck, and nav, not the full certification. We all know to be a better diver it takes practice, practice practice.

Once again we don't read post. we just reply. Deep and Nav were not combined, nor did I state that anywhere.

But you did say that deep and wreck were combined. That's a BS way to train. It's like the instructors that throw in an altitude dive at one of our local sites as a separate dive instead of something more useful like a second nav dive since all the dives are at altitude.

On you AOW you will have to do deep and nav, they only take a few minutes, My deep and wreck were combined. Depending on your air consumption you may also be able to sneak ppb in also.

This was Dive one of deep, wreck, and nav, not the full certification. We all know to be a better diver it takes practice, practice practice.

Once again we don't read post. we just reply. Deep and Nav were not combined, nor did I state that anywhere.

One of these things is not like the other...

But you did say that deep and wreck were combined. That's a BS way to train. It's like the instructors that throw in an altitude dive at one of our local sites as a separate dive instead of something more useful like a second nav dive since all the dives are at altitude.

Everyone does things different, doesn't make it right or wrong, as long as it's safe! It was okay with me. We were going out to a deep wreck for the first dive. I was just answering the OP question and making a suggestion. It's up to him as to what he does, and who he uses.

One of these things is not like the other...

:confused::confused: The OP asked about AOW cert, I was letting him know that Deep and Nav were required dives for AOW. Because he stated taking deep as one of his electives. I should have stated Padi AOW certification!

Can we break up the AOW course like we did for the open water course? I wonder about taking peak performance and underwater navigation at home, night diving and one other on the big island, be it deep diving or wreck diving and then take the last one on Oahu.

I would like to be able to do the night diving on the big island to try to see the mantas. Other than that I just want to continue to learn practice my skills and have fun.

The reason for going right into AOW is to see some of the things on Hawaii that we would not be able to see if we didn't have it, I.e. the manta dive. We will likely do other dives while on the islands aside from just the AOW dives, and we will definitely be getting a few more dives under are belt back home before we leave.

On Oahu we are staying on the north shore, how hard is it to get to the above referred dive shops and are they worth the extra time or is their something equally good closer. I am currently in Puerto Vallarta and had the chance to witness two different dive shops operate, and I am willing to spend more/take more time to use a really good operation(thanks PVSea Dive) and am looking for one on Oahu.

---------- Post added May 14th, 2013 at 06:43 AM ----------

[/COLOR]

Who do you dive with on the big island. Is one operator alot better than the other? We will be staying at the Hilton Waikoloa village unless we can find a place that will sleep 7 for less. (My entire family is coming).

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I stayed at the Waikoloa Village and dove with KDC when i visited the island in November. ~10 15 minute drive to the harbor.

Everyone does things different, doesn't make it right or wrong, as long as it's safe! It was okay with me. We were going out to a deep wreck for the first dive. I was just answering the OP question and making a suggestion. It's up to him as to what he does, and who he uses.

:confused::confused: The OP asked about AOW cert, I was letting him know that Deep and Nav were required dives for AOW. Because he stated taking deep as one of his electives. I should have stated Padi AOW certification!

Actually it is wrong. Combining dives like that is against standards. There are different skill sets that need to be tested separately and checked. As well as being ethically and morally wrong since the diver is being cheated. Even if they don't know it and think it's ok. The instructor should be reported.

Actually it is wrong. Combining dives like that is against standards. There are different skill sets that need to be tested separately and checked. As well as being ethically and morally wrong since the diver is being cheated. Even if they don't know it and think it's ok. The instructor should be reported.

I digress

Thanks for all of the help. I have been in contact with several of the dive operators and think I will be trying to use the Kona dive company on the big island and either deep ecology or surfnsea on the north shore of Oahu. Though I still want to talk to Scottitheduck whether it would be feasible to work with him since we will primarily be staying on the north shore.

When we dive the north shore I am hoping that we will dive sharks cove. The reason for that is we are looking at renting a house while we are there that is adjacent to it and I would like to try to dive that on our own several mornings on our trip. Is this a reasonable expectation to have? We would be pretty green yet but I think I feel confident enough after one guided dive of sharks cove to plan and execute our own dive. Is there enough to see to do sharks cove for 3-4 days in a row? Or is it just an easy place to dive and that is why the dive ops take people there? I am hoping to get more dive time in on the cheap so we can both have fun and still work on our skills.

Sharks Cove can be done rather easily but watch the tide and current. The "get in" can be tricky. Three Tables is just south of Sharks Cove and the Fire Station and is a little easier to get in the water as well as to navigate on your own.

It would be a good idea to do at least one guided dive before you go by yourselves.

I wish we were going to be there...I really dig diving the North Shore.

For a land excursion visit the Heaiu up Pupakea Road (by the Foodland). Follow the trail towards the ocean for a great view.

Thanks for all of the help. I have been in contact with several of the dive operators and think I will be trying to use the Kona dive company on the big island and either deep ecology or surfnsea on the north shore of Oahu. Though I still want to talk to Scottitheduck whether it would be feasible to work with him since we will primarily be staying on the north shore.

When we dive the north shore I am hoping that we will dive sharks cove. The reason for that is we are looking at renting a house while we are there that is adjacent to it and I would like to try to dive that on our own several mornings on our trip. Is this a reasonable expectation to have? We would be pretty green yet but I think I feel confident enough after one guided dive of sharks cove to plan and execute our own dive. Is there enough to see to do sharks cove for 3-4 days in a row? Or is it just an easy place to dive and that is why the dive ops take people there? I am hoping to get more dive time in on the cheap so we can both have fun and still work on our skills.

I would defiantly spring for a guided dive or two before striking out on your own on the North Shore. Although summertime is usually nice, it doesn't take much of a swell to make diving unsafe up there, so be careful of that. Much of the best diving in Sharks cove especially is outside of the cove itself, there are lots of large rocks, overhangs, canyons, and some awesome swim throughs...but it is easy to get lost and surfacing for a little sneak and peek navigation can be tricky since the cove can seem to disappear from that perspective. That said it can be a great dive with a fairly easy entry and exit, I always find cool critters up there that I never find anywhere else on the island and the swim through the cove is a great treasure hunt from all of the tourists.
As with all dives, double check the conditions before you enter and be aware of your limitations and don't exceed them, and always follow scuba rule #3 "Slow down, relax, and have fun"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom