quick Oahu report - Island Divers 7/6 and 7/7 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bassplayer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
En route to Palau and decided to stop over in Oahu for a few days to break up the travel and enjoy a visit.
I didn't make the best choices but it was still a nice stopover.

booked diving first. after a fair bit of googling, decided to go with Island Divers for 2 mornings (Friday is a 3 tanker which sounded good). they dive out of Hawaii Kai, which turns out to have virually zero lodging available. seems to be more of a nice suburban area.
Best I could manage was to stay in Waikiki which is a 30$ uber each way. usually i do well with booking dives first then finding suitable lodging but it didn't really work out for me this time. For these particular 2 days i don't think the Hawaii Kai location opened up any better dive sites to us but i expect sometimes it does.

couple of notes regarding nitrox at island divers:
- i appreciated that they had DIN capable provalves on the nitrox tanks
- the nitrox surcharge was only worth it for 1 of the 5 dives i did; the first wreck dive i was allowed to dive to NDL, the rest were all cut short and would have been fine on air.

the first day of diving was pretty good; I was the only fun diver on the large boat. there was also an instructor, a woman doing advanced adventure, and another member of staff diving. They let me dive my tank until i hit NDL on the first wreck dive (new barge), and on the second dive which was a drift we had a fun encounter with a monk seal and some large turtles which was cool, but the dive leader signalled us to begin the ascent at 37 minutes, which turned out to be foreshadowing of the next day. boat was large and comfortable, waters were pretty choppy. Dive leader took some great pics and shared them with the group which was a nice thing also.

second day could have been great; there were several other divers who seemed pretty advanced, the sea was calmer. however, the bottom times for the 3 dives were: 28 minutes, 22 minutes, 24 minutes. (by bottom time i mean, when did the DM tell us to ascend, not counting ascent and safety stop)
I really don't understand how this is considered ok for a 200$ plus nitrox surcharge day, not good value for money. As far as i could tell, the limiting factor was one particular diver out of the group; since we had 2 members of shop staff in the water and only 5 customers i was wishing they could've managed things a bit better for the rest of us. My experience has been that a quality dive operation will put more effort into ensuring decent dive times e.g. letting the one diver who runs out of gas get back on the boat when they want to without ending the whole group's dive.

I did enjoy seeing the YO-257, it's a nice dive site and I would visit it again to see more.

Your experience is why I check with new (to me) dive shops ahead of time to see if they dive to the clock, dive to the first diver low on air, or let you dive your tank. You have every reason to be pissed about a 3 tank day where each dive was less than 30 minutes. I'd have been asking for a partial refund.

En route to Palau and decided to stop over in Oahu for a few days to break up the travel and enjoy a visit.
I didn't make the best choices but it was still a nice stopover.

booked diving first. after a fair bit of googling, decided to go with Island Divers for 2 mornings (Friday is a 3 tanker which sounded good). they dive out of Hawaii Kai, which turns out to have virually zero lodging available. seems to be more of a nice suburban area.
Best I could manage was to stay in Waikiki which is a 30$ uber each way. usually i do well with booking dives first then finding suitable lodging but it didn't really work out for me this time. For these particular 2 days i don't think the Hawaii Kai location opened up any better dive sites to us but i expect sometimes it does.

couple of notes regarding nitrox at island divers:
- i appreciated that they had DIN capable provalves on the nitrox tanks
- the nitrox surcharge was only worth it for 1 of the 5 dives i did; the first wreck dive i was allowed to dive to NDL, the rest were all cut short and would have been fine on air.

the first day of diving was pretty good; I was the only fun diver on the large boat. there was also an instructor, a woman doing advanced adventure, and another member of staff diving. They let me dive my tank until i hit NDL on the first wreck dive (new barge), and on the second dive which was a drift we had a fun encounter with a monk seal and some large turtles which was cool, but the dive leader signalled us to begin the ascent at 37 minutes, which turned out to be foreshadowing of the next day. boat was large and comfortable, waters were pretty choppy. Dive leader took some great pics and shared them with the group which was a nice thing also.

second day could have been great; there were several other divers who seemed pretty advanced, the sea was calmer. however, the bottom times for the 3 dives were: 28 minutes, 22 minutes, 24 minutes. (by bottom time i mean, when did the DM tell us to ascend, not counting ascent and safety stop)
I really don't understand how this is considered ok for a 200$ plus nitrox surcharge day, not good value for money. As far as i could tell, the limiting factor was one particular diver out of the group; since we had 2 members of shop staff in the water and only 5 customers i was wishing they could've managed things a bit better for the rest of us. My experience has been that a quality dive operation will put more effort into ensuring decent dive times e.g. letting the one diver who runs out of gas get back on the boat when they want to without ending the whole group's dive.

I did enjoy seeing the YO-257, it's a nice dive site and I would visit it again to see more.

Interesting…. We were supposed to be diving on that 3 tank boat but had to cancel due to an injury and a head cold. We would have been diving CCR with a local. We had called in advance and it seemed like if stayed out of deco we could expect about an hour dives, based on the boat. It was never guaranteed, just sort of a if the boat can accommodate it, then you’re welcome to it. Sort of glad now, that would have been annoying.

Your experience is why I check with new (to me) dive shops ahead of time to see if they dive to the clock, dive to the first diver low on air, or let you dive your tank. You have every reason to be pissed about a 3 tank day where each dive was less than 30 minutes. I'd have been asking for a partial refund.
yes i think i need to start doing this more explicitly vs just going from reviews that may not reflect the standard policy or just relate to what one DM does

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom