Big Island Trip Report 3-18-10 to 3-29-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is some good diving here on the Hilo side. They are all shore dives as no shop on this side has a boat or a captain. I have two kayaks that are wonderful to dive from. I would say that for most beginner divers it may be a bit much. If you have never done a shore dive then I would not suggest learning here. In Hilo there are four or five shore dives and many more up and down the coast. The problem is, when the weather doesn't want to cooperate you will not be diving. So don't plan on diving here as the only thing you will be doing while on vacation. Also, if you go to the other side of the island, no matter which way you go, it is like taking a plane with the elevation change. Plan your surface intervals carefully. Any more info on diving the Hilo side, send me a message.

Aloha,
David

PS it is mandatory to use a dive float/flag on all dives here (but I have never seen it enforced). I can give tips on how to handle a float too.

Where did you stay? And how close was it to your dive sites? Would you recommend where you stayed?

Just my 2 cents. Was on the Big Island for my AOW last summer and dove with Wanna Dive. It's a small operation that we found on the net and was very well run. A 6 pack boat (never had more than 4 divers on it though) with a great owner and 2 great DM's. I can't say enough good things about them - but I really like the smaller operators - better service and smaller dive groups. Just do a quick search on the net and you'll find it easily enough. Make sure you get to do the night Manta dive by Kailua-Kona. While there are way too many divers in the water and an obnoxious video-guy who blinds you with his rig, seeing 9 Mantas in the water at night, so close that I was actually bumped into twice by them, makes it worth it. It is pretty unique!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom