Big Man seeking Mask/Fin Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCNewb

Registered
Reaction score
I am 6'3" and weigh 300lbs. I want to buy a mask and fins that I will use for warm water snorkeling (and scuba in the near future). I am active as I am a construction worker and I enjoy weight training and tennis 3-5 times a week. For the mask, I was thinkin' perhaps a TUSA Visualator? I have a large face with rather deep creases from my nose area down to the area around my mouth. For the fins, perhaps full-foot TUSA Xpert Zoom splits or (ff) Avanti Superchannels or (ff)Mares Volo Race fins? My shoe size is normally 12E. I would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks,Gerry.

For the mask you may want to look at the Scubapro Wide Vu
and if you are thinking of going with splits, look at the Twin Jet fin by S/P.

I'm your size - you've got me by 25 lbs - and I use a Visualator. I have a pretty big face/head.
It works well except that if I really whip my head around, it will leak slightly at the temples.

I don't know about the FF Tusa's but my split-fin Xpert Zooms have the pocket molded at an angle to the base of the fin so they aren't very good on the surface.

The Tusa split fin in FF or OH should do fine. However, point taken about the offset angle of the blade. It is pretty extreme. The Apollo Biofin XT will push you along at a fast clip. The Apollo FF split, the "Uni" has gone through a transition and I hear that the recent versions offer more thrust. Still, I hesitate to recommend at the price. The Quattro deserves consideration and will earn approving nods. Same with the Aeris Mako. Since you live in SC I presume that you dive where a thick, heavy boot is not required. If you don't mind your future SCUBA bro's laughing, get the Superchannels with 3 mm bootie. For some reason, it is assumed that a SCUBA diver must have a Jet Fin or something equally primeval in appearance even though some FF fins are faster, turn quicker and tighter, and have more thrust. Check size availability, especially width.

I don't have a clue about the mask selection. That is not an on-line purchase. Fit and test.

I read the Visualator reviews and all seem to agree the mask is suitable for round, large faces. Excellent field of vision but hard to clear (volume). I presume that you have air to spare so no sweat.

I'm 6'6" and 300lbs, with a size 13-14 foot

The mask has to be a good fit. You can't go by a "brand" or a style. Try them all and purchase the one that fits your face the best, regardless of brand.

For fins, there are many different styles out there. Much has to depend on your leg strength. I like the new Aqua Lung fins. There are fantastic and give you every thing you want and more, however they are pricey.

Personally, I'm not a fan of splits.

Fins try the scubapro twin jets black I really like mine. The mask I am currently using is a SP sub but Im not to happy with the fit. The atomic frameless seems to fit my face well (large face) in the store but who knows when its wet.
Try out as much as possible in your LDS.

Need to go to a shop or several shops and try on masks to get the one that fits with the best field of vision. I have used TUSA masks and snorkels. They worked well. I currently use SEADIVE TruVu RayBlockers. Tusa Platina and Aqua Lung Impulse 3 snorkels.

I have both the full foot Mares Plana Avanti and Apollo Uni. Do not get fins with an angle. They suck for surface swimming because they angle out of the water. I have the open heel Mares Raptor split fins that are angled.

I got my Uni's from LeisurePro. I really like them. I do not think they will push you through the water very well loaded down for SCUBA though.

The Uni's have large foot pockets. So they will be loose on you. May need light bootie or sock.

The Atomic masks did not fit me. Someday they may make them for big heads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom