New diver and I want to buy fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carly416

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I am looking to get certified and the certification program I am going to use includes rental of everything except basic scuba gear (fins, mask, snorkel). I would like to purchase my on to use in the future. I went to a local dive shop and tried on a few things, but would like some input before I make the jump and buy. My husband uses full foot (mares volo race full foot fins) that he purchased when we were living elsewhere and all of our new local shops only sell open heel. What are your thoughts on open heel vs full foot? We will be doing mostly vacation diving.

I tried on both the Mares Triboot and Mares Flexa DS Boot with the Mares X-stream and the Tusa Solla fins. Do I need something as advanced as the x-stream for my first set of fins? Will I see that much of an advantage? Do you have other suggestions?

This is just my personal opinion, having been in your position very recently.

There is so much choice out there it's mind-boggling. To make a long story short, if I were to buy a pair of fins today, I'd buy a pair with spring straps that have a finger hole in it, like the Hollis F1. F1 -

This type of strap makes getting in and out of them so much easier, especially if you're trying to remove them in choppy water while holding onto a boat ladder after a dive, or when you're trying to put them on standing up with heavy gear on your back. I would NOT buy any fins with the buckle straps. I would get too frustrated with those.

I would also not buy full foot fins because I prefer to wear a boot with a sole (even if it's a thin 3mm), even in tropical waters, because I don't like to walk around in my bare feet. In some places, you'll have to walk on hot cement (like a parking lot or a street) or really sharp rocks on a shore. I just like to be safe and not in pain.

Those are my 2 tips.

I bought a pair of Aqua Lung Hot Shots for travel and the foot pocket is too small to wear a boot in them, so I'm now not liking them as much, although I can and do wear them with a pair of neoprene socks, which prevents painful rubbing. HotShot - Aqua Lung US - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Recreational and Professional Use

I just tried on a pair of the Hollis F1s and LOVE the springs straps and comfy foot pocket, but find they're too long and heavy for air travel. So yeah, I'm also still searching for my perfect pair!

If you go up a size or two you can wear Hot Shots with booties IIRC.

Fins are one way you can adjust your trim, it depends on your exposure suit and body whether you want heavy fins like the F1 or Jets or light fins like the Mares Quattro.

If you go up a size or two you can wear Hot Shots with booties IIRC.

Fins are one way you can adjust your trim, it depends on your exposure suit and body whether you want heavy fins like the F1 or Jets or light fins like the Mares Quattro.

One size up in the Hot Shots were too big. My size "should" fit but it's REALLY snug and kinda hurts. The dive shop suggested I put a can in it to stretch it, which I have yet to do. (My bad)

Hollis F2 fins are quite short, very light, work well, and have spring straps with a grab point.

Jetfins with spring straps. They come in a lot of different colors now, not just black. Probably the best all around fin made.

Open heeled fins can be used even in cold waters where you would require warm boots.

If you get open heeled fins then note that spring straps are easy to use. No annoying plastic clips and no poking with fingers.

Then there are fins designed for the naked foot. Some people prefer those. Simplicity. No boots. No straps.

Fins are a piece of clothing and no definitive truth can be given. I have both types of fins. One for the drysuit, one for the free dives. Do you own more than one pair of shoes?

Last edited:
This is just my personal opinion, having been in your position very recently.

There is so much choice out there it's mind-boggling. To make a long story short, if I were to buy a pair of fins today, I'd buy a pair with spring straps that have a finger hole in it, like the Hollis F1. F1 -

This type of strap makes getting in and out of them so much easier, especially if you're trying to remove them in choppy water while holding onto a boat ladder after a dive, or when you're trying to put them on standing up with heavy gear on your back. I would NOT buy any fins with the buckle straps. I would get too frustrated with those.

I just tried on a pair of the Hollis F1s and LOVE the springs straps and comfy foot pocket, but find they're too long and heavy for air travel. So yeah, I'm also still searching for my perfect pair!

You can buy spring straps separately for just about every type of fin, you're not stuck with the straps your fins come with if you don't like them. I love my Mares avanti quattro fins (with a wetsuit) but have changed out the buckle strap for a spring strap on every pair I've owned.

Here's the advice I give my students. Resist the temptation to purchase Fins, BCD, Regulator, and a Computer UNTIL you're done with your Open Water training. And better yet, until after you've done a few dives with other divers.

During and after your OW training, you'll get a better sense and feel for what works for you. You'll see different kinds, types, style and model of gear, be able to try them out, do more research, and not be sold an expensive piece of gear that you will regret later.

Take Fins as an example. There are hundreds of choices out there. They're packaged well, nicely styled and with colors for everyone. But all that doesn't matter. When you're moving heavy scuba gear on the surface or underwater, you need Fins that will accomplish the following:

1. Trim you out horizontally. If your feet heavy, you need near neutral buoyant fins. If you have floaty feet, you need a more negatively buoyant Fin. If you use a dry suit, very good chance you need heavier fins.

2. Complement your leg strength. If you have strong leg muscles, a heavy more rigid Fin will complement your strength. If you have weak leg muscles, a lighter less rigid fin will be a better choice.

3. Support the kind of diving you'll do. If you are planning to do wreck, cave, technical diving, or serious photography, Fins that are more rigid and with wide side walls are the best for swimming with heavy gear (doubles, stages, etc) and performing different kick techniques that you need to execute well -- such as the reverse kick, helicopter turn, etc.

At this point since you haven't even started your OW Training, you're shopping blind if you make any gear purchases. Take your time.

Back
Top Bottom