• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Big Mistake

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by DameDykker, May 13, 2003.

1. DameDykker

DameDykker Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Bantering and flames aside - I at least learnt something. Most of my dives are long duration very shallow depth and I weren't aware that the SUunto algorithme was working in precisely that way. And I might very well not have found out before doing a deep dive - even though I would have checked the manual.

So in conclusion I learnt from the internet (most classes have theory included). And I don't think I would have picked it up anyware else.

So thanks to Seajay for sharing. And thanks to the rest of you for making the lesson more complete. :eek:ut:

I hope that others will also make their misktakes puplic - It not that we havn't all make mistake one time or another.

Take care down there :)

2. ericfine50

ericfine50 DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I can't believe I am going to do this, but - SJ _ don't dive the computer, dive your plan. Going from 70 to 98 back to 70 is a continuation of the dive.

Eric

3. Scubaroo

Scubaroo Great White

Suuntos are very conservative computers - see if you can track down Rodale's reviews on computers and conservatism, they're right down there at the "safe but short dive" end of the scale. My buddy's Cochran will often have NDLs of 10 or 15 minutes longer on the second dive, but we always surface according to the most conservative computer as a buddy team.

Good thing about the Suuntos though is that they really push you towards using them as a bottom timer instead to get around the conservatism :tease: Planning on taking that route.

4. Scubaroo

Scubaroo Great White

Maybe the wind was blowing your boat?

:confused:

For the record, it's been checked - Nanook is a unique user, and is not posting from the same machine or IP address of any other user on ScubaBoard. Please contact Nanook privately if you wish to establish his/her identity.

5. Scubaroo

Scubaroo Great White

Actually your first and last posts in this thread have the same IP. The host is also logged.

Sure someone could log in from a different machine. Ask Nanook directly yourself.

6. Scubaroo

Scubaroo Great White

!!!!!!!!!

People, get yourself under control.

Certain links are being edited out of this thread. They have no place on ScubaBoard.

7. Zagnut

Zagnut Manta Ray

..and you can tell me if this is a dumb question or not.

Off gassing at your safety stop occurs during the process of breathing. If you slow your breathing down to conserve air on your safety stop, aren't you also slowing down the offgassing process? Wouldn't this increase the time required for the deco stop? It seems like conserving air at the safety stop would be detrimental to the whole deco stop process.

Your thoughts please...

8. Zagnut

Zagnut Manta Ray

Anyone have any insight to my earlier post

If I were in SeaJay's fins on this particular safety stop, I would have not conserved my air like SeaJay did. I would have breathed normally and sucked my tank all the way down to maximize the offgassing process... would this have been the right thing to do?

Anyone?...

9. kwesler

kwesler Barracuda

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    to say this is the best thread I have read in a while-congrats to all for egos in check and focussing on the interesting, educational stuff!

now, back to our regularly scheduled program!

Ken

10. Charlie99

Charlie99 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Those computers have an assumed ascent rate for which the NDL is calculated. In all cases I know of, that ascent rate is much faster than the 8 feet per minute actually used by SeaJay.

SeaJay -- if you look at decompresssion literature for stuff on "Hill vs. Haldane" you will see that your ascent profile is far from ideal.

You would have done much better with a 30fpm ascent to an initial stop of a 1-2 minutes around 50' -- but I'm sure that you saw that when using V-planner, or any of the tested programs such as Decoplanner or GAP.

Charlie