Bigass Indonesia Group Trip Report - Ambon, Bali & The Banda Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My friend's wife in bali working as one of local airline counter staff. When I was there August 2008, I had an interesting discusion regarding overages.
All commercial airline does have clear regulation of overweight luggage. Typically, for each kg excess, they will charge 1% of normal oneway economi class fare; which is very reasonable. The problem, many people purchase promo ticket which much cheaper than normal fare and they are not ready to pay extra charge for overage. As an example, someone pay $ 60 from Jakarta to Bali and have 10 kg overage; assuming the normal fare is $150, he has to pay $15 - yes, this is a lot not only for locals but many tourist want to save every cents if they can. many people will think that they're ripped off, to pay 25% of his ticket just for 10 kg overweight.
So, they will try hard to negotiate for free or reduction. Good staff, will insist for this charge and become unpopular, and have to handle the complain frequently very rude plus other passenger complain for long queue due to their debate. Actualy they don't like this situation, and for relatively small overages, usualy they don't charge.
Bad staff will take this opportunity to "help" to reduce the charge by putting the overage to other passenger who travel light, no report to the company - and the money will go to their pocket.

Terrific report to say the least. I'm sure it was daunting to put together. Thanks for the long spent hours to put together to share.

Excellent report and pics...you should sell to a Magazine....although I have not been to the Ambon I have been to Lembeh, Bali and Raja Ampat a couple of times....finest diving I've found so far!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom