Bigger tank or continue diving more?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious--were most people not taught how to calculate their SAC in their basic class? It's in cf/min/ata...that's all ya need to know. :wink:

Mike, get a bigger tank. You can enjoy the additional bottom time with your air-sipper buddy, as your comfort level increases and SAC decreases. It's all upside.

A steel 120 (high pressure) will give you 43 cu ft extra (over an AL80) at a full 3442 psi, or an extra 30 cu ft at 3000psi. It's only about 6 lbs. heavier, and 2 inches longer (which a tall guy like you can easily handle), and it's negatively buoyant when empty, so you can shed some lead... another advantage.

Good luck... dive safe...

SparticleBrane:
Just curious--were most people not taught how to calculate their SAC in their basic class? It's in cf/min/ata...that's all ya need to know. :wink:

Not in my class. It was even a private class and there were only two of us. I thinkit was the instructor trying to hurry us through the class. That's why I'm shopping around for an instructor that will go beyond just the book.

Michael

BKP,

I think I may go ahead and get one, but it will be later on. Maybe a late Christmas present. I'm going to start cardio and weight training here next week and I hope to be doing quite a few more dives as well. I'll see how that goes before I purchase a tank.

Plus, I've PMed a few people and they've sent me URLs to sites and other posts on SB about bouyancy and trim. I'm quite sure that takes up a lot of gas as I do flail my arm and I am constantly trying to hoover and never really do.

Thanks,

Michael

SparticleBrane:
Not part of PADI's curriculum. I assume you were trained NAUI?

Much of the problem is NOT the diver, their metabolism, their weight, or whatever.....

I have seen many divers large and small with low air consumption. The major difference is not purely "time spent in the water" it's that they are more efficient about how they are in the water. People who are already comfortable in the water, like regular swimmers, will pick this up very quickly.

I myself was a slow student, but very analytical I watched good divers and I watched myself and adjust my technique. By dive 50 or so I had very good consumption and no longer really think about it consciously. I frequently find myself coming back from a dive using an AL-80 with half a tank, when buddy with larger tank is bone-dry.

Someone should do a video to highlight the differences between n00b and master. I can see it just about every time I play Buddy roulette. They use their hands to swim with, they have too much weight, poor trim, poor kick technique etc. It's all about THINK LIKE A FISH, you want to move through the water efficiently and with least effort.

mwhities:
Surelyshirly,

Thanks for the page, I've bookmarked it and with my last dive, I'm at 1.8 SAC. (I think I did it right.) If so, I think that really sucks. :)

I try my best to concentrate on breathing and exhaling slowly and fully, but when I saw my first barracuda, I got so excited, I dropped 500psi in two seconds flat. :)

I'll try the 3/5. I'm quite large, maybe I should do 5/8 or something? When I try to take long breaths, it's quite deep and I feel like I'm sucking the tank dry with one breath. I'll continue to work at it.

Thanks for the site again and your encouraging words.

Michael

Check out Fitness for Divers by CAMERON L. MARTZ

http://www.divefitness.com/html/home.html

Follow the exercise program and your numbers will come down...

wedivebc:
Not part of PADI's curriculum. I assume you were trained NAUI?
The cert says NAUI but the training went far beyond the required minimums...that's what's nice about having an entire semester for a course. :wink:

BKP:
Mike, get a bigger tank. You can enjoy the additional bottom time with your air-sipper buddy, as your comfort level increases and SAC decreases. It's all upside.

A steel 120 (high pressure) will give you 43 cu ft extra (over an AL80) at a full 3442 psi, or an extra 30 cu ft at 3000psi. It's only about 6 lbs. heavier, and 2 inches longer (which a tall guy like you can easily handle), and it's negatively buoyant when empty, so you can shed some lead... another advantage.

Good luck... dive safe...
YOu beat me to it , the larger tank cant hurt and will distribute the weight out a bit better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom