Biggest Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Old thread, but just found it now.
This may sound simple. However, I am a perfectionist, and tend to get very stressed when I can't pick up a new skill right away, or am doing it wrong.

So, one of my biggest stressors/challenges was doing a skill that was difficult for me while keeping my buoyancy and trim in check. To do that, I had to remain cool as a cucumber. Also, my mind had to focus on three different things at once, two of which I wasn't totally sure I had down pat. And the difficult skill came with zero confidence.

The biggest skill I hated doing was taking off my BC and putting it back on, because it was hard to see/feel where the straps were and all (from what I recall). Also, it wasn't something I was "readily able" to do- aka, not quickly. I was pretty worried I wasn't going to be able to complete it when attempting during the open water dives.

But I stayed calm, kept decent buoyancy and trim (somehow!), and did get the BC back on correctly. I have so much more confidence in myself now because I know I can control the way my mind responds to stress. Generally, I am very anxious before a dive, but once underwater, I go into complete focus and control mode.

I don't understand why? Train them to respond to what they may face. If they find that easy then make them your best buddy going forward.

Creating training scenarios to ridiculous extremes until they fail is just dumb.
I think you can do training in one of two ways. One is you just do a cookie cutter class according to some standard for the specific level.
The other is to see it as getting training like in other sports. The trainer looks at what the student's current skill level is and tries to improve it. This way you can focus more in the student's weaknesses.

The first option is more consistent and makes for a better product to sell. The second option is better IMHO to actually improve as long as you have a good instructor.
I have been bored in classes because we went over lots of stuff I already knew... which feels like a waste of time. I rather take training than a class.

When I took cave class a picked an instructor who had great reviews and it was supposed to be a tough and stressful class (was a 9 days zero-to-hero, which was pretty common at the time).
I ended up being a little disappointed because I felt the skills were all really easy. The intire class felt very easy and I never felt any stress. We did the class according to the standards though and I think the instructor was good but I would have like be challenged some more.
I reckon Oya tries to be more of a personal trainer than do the standard class program... I think that a good thing in advanced training. For PADI rec diving stuff, I think the class model is better.

Reactions: L13
My best, most challenging instructors just continued to task load me until I made a mistake, debriefed me on what went wrong, then started again.

I also had an instructor "teach" me one of the most important lessons, especially for classes beyond basic scuba; "Take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth".

I also had an instructor "teach" me one of the most important lessons, especially for classes beyond basic scuba; "Take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth".

That is preposterous, students should be encouraged to ask questions and to talk through anything and everything within the scope of a given course.

I know what challenged me and while I was on a DH regulator at the time it could be a similar issue withn a single hose regulator.

1. Carrying an expensive camera and being distracted by a photo opportunity with a turtle and an overly curious lemon shark.
2. Massive mouthpiece leak (DH) or diaphragm unseating (SH).
3. Depth 110 feet.
4. Edged into minor deco.
5. Computer decided to quit.
6. Inhaled copious amounts of seawater driven past my larynx by Venturi force.
7. Delayed shift to secondary regulator due to distraction with now failed computer.
8. Mammalian reflex thus closing off the air way so could not inhale, exhale or go upward.
9. And my buddies had moved on off leaving me in unprepared/accidental solo.
10. And then after a couple of minutes of futzing with getting my camera secured to my body (with my shield or on my shield) to pass the time and whistling Dixie I then ---.
11. Passing out and dropping my dsmb spool.
12. And nobody to assist.

If you can simulate something along those lines it might be challenging. It might even kill your student and then you might not get paid.

Truly, if you have a very experienced and highly trained diver, you may not be able to cook up a unique challenge for that person without at least knowing something about that person's personality. Some people have phobias (me, I do not like anything pressing on my chest and have now something of a next breath anxiety post event) and almost everyone has a few things that get under their skin and annoy them. If you can learn what those things are and then include them in a (carefully supervised) training scenario.

I would probably not recommend having your student inhale seawater. The resulting bleeding, multiple antibiotic courses and some two months to heal up would probably delay the finishing of the course work, just saying :wink:.

I was doing a flight review some years back and the young instructor pulled the power to simulate engine failure. I went through all the procedures for an engine restart (of course the engine was just at idle) but he had chosen a particularly bad place to challenge me as there was nothing below but mountains and rocks and hard places. Sometimes there is not an out if you get yourself in so deep, you are just basically screwed, so never get there to begin with, that is the lesson to be challenged with, judgement.

I teach a lot of refresher classes in a pool. I have the "optional final exam" - remove and replace mask while hovering neutral and trim 2 feet off the bottom of the deep end.

Many of my students have never done any skills neutral and trimmed in their original open water classes, but instead were firmly planted knees on the bottom, and most gladly accept the challenge.

Yes, in a perfect world they have done everything neutral and trim from day 1 and are completely comfortable with the mask off - but the world isn't perfect.

One girl had an extra challenge. Her long pony tail came undone and her hair got completely tangled in her mask strap and snorkel. She calmly untangled it, hovering with the mask off and eyes open. Took her over a minute. She said she didn't like it, but was happy she did it as she was now much more confident she could deal with issues that might come up on a real dive.

That is preposterous, students should be encouraged to ask questions and to talk through anything and everything within the scope of a given course.

Easy there, his point, I was there to learn, not to tell him "how I did it". Has nothing to do with not asking questions.

I have taken a few "advanced" classes and there is always one student who is there to tell the instructor how much he/she knows and not listening to the instructor.

Back
Top Bottom