Bioluminescence Night Dive, which location has the most dazzling offering? Cozumel, Jamaica or Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigAladdin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking to go on a dazzling night dive and witness bioluminescence underwater. I know nothing out there replicates what we saw in “Life of Pi” but I wanna just get Recs and thoughts on anything that is the closest to that kind of display as possible.

I've done it a few times on Isla Mujeres and it was like swimming with the stars. Not the stupid TV show. Literally swimming amidst blue stars. No hand-waving required. One of a handful of times I have cried underwater.

There is also a brackish lagoon outside of Bogota, Colombia that had the same density and brightness but I completely forget the name of it. That was an absolutely amazing dive, too.

The ostracod dive (string of pearls) dive on Utila was fantastic. It only occurs as certain phases of the moon and you have to be comfortable without using your dive light. As soon you turn on your light, the ostracods go dark. Spent almost 30 minutes swimming thru the Milky Way. It was bright enough not to need a dive light.

Location is by luck.

Seasons matter- and water temps, current (water exchange), lunar phase,

Just keep doing night dives! I once spent two weeks at CovoView Roatan and did three night dives each night. Slept during the day.

It increases your odds of seeing cool stuff versus sitting at the bar.

I've done it a few times on Isla Mujeres and it was like swimming with the stars. Not the stupid TV show. Literally swimming amidst blue stars. No hand-waving required. One of a handful of times I have cried underwater.

There is also a brackish lagoon outside of Bogota, Colombia that had the same density and brightness but I completely forget the name of it. That was an absolutely amazing dive, too.
Bogota is one of my favorite places on earth! I’d love to get the name but never imagined they’d have anything like that. If they do I’d love to plan a trip there as early as the upcoming weekend.

I didn't see LoP, but the Bio-bay snorkeling on Grand Cayman is spectacular. We've done it twice - like swimming in the Milky-way.
Yes to this. Remember to wear skins. When we went the mosquitos were terrible when we were on the boat, and the jellies were a problem in the water. The other people on the boat showed up in swimsuits and got eaten alive by mosquitos and stung by the jellies, making the trip a bit shorter than I think it could have been. But it was a blast thinking of the song Bippity Boppity Boo, pretending to be the fairy godmother in Cinderella while underwater!

The ostracod dive (string of pearls) dive on Utila was fantastic. It only occurs as certain phases of the moon and you have to be comfortable without using your dive light. As soon you turn on your light, the ostracods go dark. Spent almost 30 minutes swimming thru the Milky Way. It was bright enough not to need a dive light.
Wherever you end up going, do some research to find out the moon cycle and when the best time for bioluminescence is. It can make a significant difference from what I've read.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom